you think VAT is bad? 4S launches in Brazil with official price from US$1410!

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The iPhone 4S has seen a further expansion into 20 countries and due to some of the rather high taxes and import fees, the prices are eye-watering to say the least!

e.g. in Brazil:

equivalent of US$1410 for the 16 GB, up to $1628 for the 32 GB and $1845 for the 64 GB. (at today's rate, US$1410 is roughly £910.59!)

in Russia they are starting at roughly US$1131!

iPhone 4S Debuts in Over 20 New Countries, Pricing Starts as High as $1400 - Mac Rumors

Last edited:
The VAT portion of the UK retail price goes to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, not Apple.

Steven said:
The VAT portion of the UK retail price goes to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, not Apple.

That was not my point :confused: , more that the Brazilian government charges so much import duty and tax etc

chukwe said:
May be there are discouraging their citizens from using iPhone. "Apple is bad" sign

I think it's also to encourage domestic production and it's working as IIRC Apple are planning a plant in Brazil

Yes, it has nothing to do with the iPhone, it's a tax the government applies on all phones coming from China.

For example the sim free Galaxy S 2 there costs 1999 reais, roughly £700.

The flipside of this policy is that other countries slap Brazilian electronics exports with a similar duty, so don't go thinking this a great idea to promote national industry.

Many Brasilians who want an iPhone just pop up to Florida and buy one anyway.

Last edited:
gkpm said:
Many Brasilians who want an iPhone just pop up to Florida and buy one anyway.

it is a rather ridiculous situation that it's cheaper for those Brazilians and Argentinians to board a plane to the states and buy it in America than get it from their local retailer

it is a rather ridiculous situation that it's cheaper for those Brazilians and Argentinians to board a plane to the states and buy it in America than get it from their local retailer

I was thinking about it for a bit and it's actually more complicated than that.

Brasil is not on the US Visa waiver program, so Brasilians have to apply for a US visit to travel there. So unless they have a multiple entry visa, or just happen to be going there, it's not so straightforward. A US tourist visa application costs $140 and takes some time.

Apple's partner Foxconn plant in Brasil will certainly make it a lot more competitive, however last I heard there were still some negotiation "glitches" to take care of, with some influential locals offering to partner with Apple/Foxconn to smooth them...

Last edited:
Brasil is not on the US Visa waiver program, so Brasilians have to apply for a US visit to travel there. So unless they have a multiple entry visa, or just happen to be going there, it's not so straightforward. A US tourist visa application costs $140 and takes some time.

bah, you and your logical reasoning :p

still some negotiation "glitches" to take care of, with some influential locals offering to partner with Apple/Foxconn to smooth them...

that does not surprise me :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom