You spent how much? - Xbox series S/X bargains thread

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start one of these as we tend to have them in other consoles sections.

Theres been a lot of questions around gamepass as well so I'm also going to explain the upgrade here so it stays at the top minus any links.

The current offer is if you have Xbox live gold or game pass only (not ultimate) any months you have will convert to gamepass ultimate when you take out that subscription for up to 36 months.

So what you need to do to get gamepass is really simple:

Buy 3 years of Xbox live gold and make sure it's applied to your account
Upgrade your account to game pass ultimate

There you have it, 3 years of games for far cheaper than the monthly subscription fee.

Credit to @Cha1ky for this detailed write up in the game pass thread but you can do the upgrade cheaper using Brazilian Xbox live codes and a VPN:

1. Bought 36 months Gold (Brasil) from CDKeys
2. Received codes from CDKeys
3. Downloaded and installed tunnel bear on my PC
4. Set the region to Brasil
5. Checked that my ip was indeed in brasil via IP Location (at was)
6. Went here https://account.microsoft.com/services/ went to gold and manage, then i added the 3 codes I'd received earlier from CDKeys
7. Set tunnel bear back to UK and turned it off.
8. I then went to https://account.microsoft.com/services/ again (new page) and selected the option to upgrade to 'Xbox Games Pass Ultimate' and it opened up a new page
9. I selected Ultimate (It was showing as £10.99 a month for me)
10. After selecting the 10.99 it popped up to say i was getting 36 months.
11. Followed it all through to checkout (basically setting up the monthly payment) and set payment as Paypal.
12. Once complete I went back to https://account.microsoft.com/services/ and it said next payment was due in 2023 so it was all done.

Credit to @Cha1ky for this detailed write up in the game pass thread but you can do the upgrade cheaper using Brazilian Xbox live codes and a VPN:

1. Bought 36 months Gold (Brasil) from CDKeys
2. Received codes from CDKeys
3. Downloaded and installed tunnel bear on my PC
4. Set the region to Brasil
5. Checked that my ip was indeed in brasil via IP Location (at was)
6. Went here https://account.microsoft.com/services/ went to gold and manage, then i added the 3 codes I'd received earlier from CDKeys
7. Set tunnel bear back to UK and turned it off.
8. I then went to https://account.microsoft.com/services/ again (new page) and selected the option to upgrade to 'Xbox Games Pass Ultimate' and it opened up a new page
9. I selected Ultimate (It was showing as £10.99 a month for me)
10. After selecting the 10.99 it popped up to say i was getting 36 months.
11. Followed it all through to checkout (basically setting up the monthly payment) and set payment as Paypal.
12. Once complete I went back to https://account.microsoft.com/services/ and it said next payment was due in 2023 so it was all done.
I've just done this (although I used EU codes and just 24 months plus the free for subscribing months).

It's worth pointing out you also pay for the first month of GPU on top of the gold subs. Still an amazing deal!

I've just done this (although I used EU codes and just 24 months plus the free for subscribing months).

It's worth pointing out you also pay for the first month of GPU on top of the gold subs. Still an amazing deal!
You pay £1 to convert your gold.
10.99 sub starts after the gold / ultimate pass period expires.

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 21.48.12.png

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 12.59.54.png

Yep. I'm actually thinking about doing this also, great deal!

Also worth remembering on gamepass upgrades that setting up auto renew also gets an extra month free. You are free to turn that off immediately though and you still get your month. I was wondering if it makes sense to only buy 33 months worth and then you get the other months, but looking at the price of the 6 and 3 months codes it will cost the same as just buying another 12 month one so seems pointless.

Another thing you can also do is the gamepass quests to accumulate Microsoft points. Just doing searches on bing and opening the app and a game a day can get you a load of points and if you do it enough can perpetually pay for gamepass for a couple of minutes effort a day.

Also worth remembering on gamepass upgrades that setting up auto renew also gets an extra month free. You are free to turn that off immediately though and you still get your month. I was wondering if it makes sense to only buy 33 months worth and then you get the other months, but looking at the price of the 6 and 3 months codes it will cost the same as just buying another 12 month one so seems pointless.

Another thing you can also do is the gamepass quests to accumulate Microsoft points. Just doing searches on bing and opening the app and a game a day can get you a load of points and if you do it enough can perpetually pay for gamepass for a couple of minutes effort a day.

How and where do you do the bing searches? Cab see ones relating to games on the Game Pass App on my iphone but thats it

How and where do you do the bing searches? Cab see ones relating to games on the Game Pass App on my iphone but thats it
Details are on this page. I can't actually see them as they don't work here in NZ for me to quite perpetually pay for gamepass.

You can also get more points by:
Open game pass on the app or the Xbox there's quests
Install the Microsoft rewards app and do tasks on there

Generally speaking I'm getting a few thousand points a month for a couple of minutes effort a day with just the Xbox stuff but I know you guys can get more.

For people stacking Gold before converting to Ultimate, go careful with the auto renewal free month option, as this could stop you from stacking to the max 36 months, if that's what you're trying to achieve.

If you've currently got an active Gold sub that would take you even just one day over 36 months after stacking, then it won't let you add a sub that will take you over the 36 month limit.

For example, if you don't have an active Gold sub today and have bought three 12 month Gold subs and whilst adding the first two 12 month codes you enable auto renewal on each one, this will add one free month to each, so now you have 26 months active Gold and cannot add your remaining 12 month code, because it knows it will take you over the 36 month limit. Even just one free month under this circumstance will stop you adding the last 12 month sub.

I thought this was a 'how to justify your purchase to, or hide it from, the wife' thread!

I thought this was a 'how to justify your purchase to, or hide it from, the wife' thread!

I justified mine by saying i'm using the profits selling a couple of Lego Ospreys! She had no come back :)

I had to buy an outdoor rattan corner sofa first.
That she's used for about 4 days...

Get yourselves 3 years of EA Play and that will convert over to another year of Gamepass once EA Play becomes part of Ultimate.

Get yourselves 3 years of EA Play and that will convert over to another year of Gamepass once EA Play becomes part of Ultimate.

I think people are holding off on that because they have not confirmed if it's redeemed codes or Sub via MS Direct. The way it's worded sounds like it will just be for Subs that are active via MS Subscription.

I assume it would be for all Subs/Codes but who knows

I think people are holding off on that because they have not confirmed if it's redeemed codes or Sub via MS Direct. The way it's worded sounds like it will just be for Subs that are active via MS Subscription.

I assume it would be for all Subs/Codes but who knows

Not sure how they could distinguish between either-nothing on my account to suggest it anyway.

Happy to have it on my account regardless.

So I did the conversion to Ultimate when it first went live a year or two ago, and have been paying £10.99 a month for the last few months since my gold conversion sub ended earlier this year.

Can I still do the gold to GPU conversion? I don't mind paying £10.99 a month but if there's a cheaper option (as above) I'll look into it.

So I did the conversion to Ultimate when it first went live a year or two ago, and have been paying £10.99 a month for the last few months since my gold conversion sub ended earlier this year.

Can I still do the gold to GPU conversion? I don't mind paying £10.99 a month but if there's a cheaper option (as above) I'll look into it.
I believe if you cancel your GPU once it runs out you can redo the Xbox love conversion. The consensus seems to be that works fine, it's whether they offer you the £1 upgrade that is hit and miss.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom