1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You opinion please on engnieers opinion regarding RPTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by blue_harvester, Apr 29, 2005.

1. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys to cut a long story short an engineer has just come out to see my THIRD replacement Toshiba 42PW33 RPTV. The problem was there was a red blur in the lower right hand corner of the screen. You can read my original posts here.

I have become totally peeved off with this, mainly because I've had to get off work each time an engineer or delivery guys call out. Therefor the engineer gave me an EAN number so that I can go back to Curry's and get a replacement or my money back. I'm going to upgrade to a Toshiba 42WH46 model hoping that the same problem does not occur.

The engineer however said that the problem must be happening because of something in my room. He said that it could be my AV Receiver (Marantz SR4300) that's causing the problem (BTW I don't have speakers beside the TV). He also said it could be underfloor heating, but I don't have this, all I have running under the floor are two plastic water pipes that are going to the radiator at the far end of the room.

Is this problem being caused by me? Should I upgrade to the 42WH46 or will the same problem occur? I'm going to complain to Curry's and ask for the 42WH46 for the same price as the 42PW33.

Please help guys, I don't know what to do!!

2. chaz 2112

chaz 2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    i've had exactly the same problem with this tv,on my third set,and have also decided to go for the wh46 at a reduced price.i have e-mailed toshiba about this problem but got no help from them,telling me to contact the supplier.will let you know how thw wh46 works out.

3. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers chaz, please do let me know. I'm going to go into my local Curry's tonight to get the WH46.

BTW Do you have any Amplifiers, underfloor heating etc near your TV?

4. nessie

nessie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

For your info, we have just opted for the samsung rptv(cant think of the number off hand) after having 4, yes 4 42wh46 rptvs, they were all the biggest pieces of junk i have ever bought. 2 of them had a green blur in the bottom right hand corner, the other 2, the convergance was a mile out. engineers that came out didnt have a clue what they were on about. so we got a refund and went for the samsung, upto now cant complain.

hope this helps, if you need any info on the samsung, just let me know.

chris

5. chaz 2112

chaz 2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    i have an a/v receiver a couple of feet away and speakers approx two and a half feet away on either side.don't think this is an issue as i saw a pw33 in currys with the same problem.

6. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers nessie,

How long have you had the Samsung for? One of my mates has one but I didn't think the picture was as good? What do you think?

Thanks.

7. nessie

nessie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we got the set about 3 weeks ago. overall picture quality is fantastic. in my opinion far better than the tosh one we had. dvd picture is spot on, and it has progressive scan which the tosh one didnt. ntl cable piccy is a bit iffy, but thats to be accepted. it is also hdtv ready which can only be a good thing, the tosh 42wh46 had nothing compared to the samsung.

hope this helps. if you need anything else, let me know.

nessie

8. nessie

nessie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh i forgot about the self focus. it makes things a hell of a lot easier.

cheers again.

nessie

9. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just for the record i owned a Toshiba RPTV and i had a green blob in the bottom hand corner so its definately the set rather than your room. So how much was this Samsung set you bought as well as the model number? Also when you say HDTV ready what do you mean exactly? Does it have DVI and HDMI input? Cheers.

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Why dont you try out a DLP rear pro, they are far better in every way, I have just upgraded from a Philips 46 crt rear pro to a 65' DLP rear pro. The pictures are stunning. These DLP tvs are HD ready as well with a 1280x720 resolution and a DVI or HMDI connection. I have some pictures on these links below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178593&page=23&pp=15

http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...9&postcount=347

BTW you dont have convergence issues with DLP nor do you have screen burn. A tosh 46 could be picked up for around £1500 and the prices rise from there. I have a optoma RD65 but they also do a 50' model.

:)