1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You opinion is very valued

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by quern, Sep 2, 2004.

1. quern

quern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all:

I am so glad I found this forum. :D I have been planning on upgrading my HomeTheater receiver to something that will provide me with more of today's processing plus one that is musical for my CD listening pleasure (currently I own a Harman Kardon AVR-65 powering Atlantic Tech 350THX speaker suite). I have not had a lot of exposure to Arcam's products and I finally made it to a local dealer to listen to the AVR-300. Needless to say I was quite impressed. So this is what I'm looking for help with.... Upgrade path information. I have been kicking around purchasing the AVR-300 or purchasing a B&K AVR507. I like the features that both units have... From what I can tell the AVR507 is hardware upgradeable, along with being software upgradeable... while the AVR-300 is only software upgradeable. Since I live in the States I asked Audiophile Systems if the Arcam unit would also be hardware upgradable (like the CD & DVD units). The answer I received was that it is "pheasable" but not guaranteed. Can anyone please provide me with their input/experience of Arcam's upgrade path for their products, along with thoughts on if I should even take the hardware upgradeable feature into consideration.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Jerry

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As regards SW upgrades, Arcam has been great about providing frequent updates to fix problems and add new features since the AVR300 came out in May. We seem to be getting updates on about a monthly basis. Most recently they added the ability to force DTS-ES on DTS audio, which is essential for non-flagged DTS ES Matrix disks like Master and Commander.

I can't speak to hardware upgrades on the AVR300. Arcam has made no promises that I know of. They have, however, provided upgrades for other equipment. Recently, I upgraded my DV88+ DVD player to add the SiI504 deinterlacer used in the more expensive FMJ DV27. It can still be upgraded to add DVD-A support. OTOH: many other companies have made past promises on hardware upgradibility, and never delivered on it, choosing to introduce newer replacement models instead.

But if I were you, I'd listen to both the Arcam and B&K first. The sound quality should really drive your decision more than anything else. If one really outshines the other in that regard, it might make the upgradability less of an issue to you (and my money's on Arcam).

I have the AVR300 and am not worried about upgrading its hardware. It really is a very complete kit and will likely serve well for many years to come.

One other thing to consider is that Arcam's customer support is second to none.

Dean