1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You Liked It, But Now You Loathe It!!!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Apocalypse, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What film did you originally think was ok/liked but now you are embarrassed that you ever did like it, time to be honest and admit you're shame to the world :suicide:

No need to mention films you watched as a kid, it has to be something you've purchased/watched as an adult :)

For me it has to be Independence Day, saw it at the cinema and thought it was excellent so I bought the laserdisc AND the eventual DVD as it had the extended edition with alternate ending. After a vicious berrating from my sister about how the film portrays the Yanks as the World's saviour I'm sad to say her words changed my whole opinion of the movie, it now makes me cringe when I think back as some of the scenes were really silly :blush:

2. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as Mr Bush is trying to portray America now :(

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    I wouldn’t say embarrass but have changed my point of view on a film. Which is ‘Air Force One’ apart from the methods used I can sympathise with the so called villains in it, and I can see how they think America is ruining/interfering with there motherland.

4. Ricardo

Ricardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Fish Called Wanda. Used to love it, now it just irritates me. Reckon it must be something to do with John Cleese!!

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gotta say that it was Independence Day for me too. I saw it in the cinema, and loved it. Then, after looking at it from a distance, and seeing it again, I realized how bad a movie it was. I was suckered in, but I've learned my lesson. :)

6. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Both Bill & Ted films :mad:

Loved them when I was a youngster but now they just get on my tits big time.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    For some reason I thought "Logan's Run" was really great when I first saw it. I was much too young for it to have had anything to do with a naked Jenny Agutter. I think it may have been because I was very fond of all the poems in "Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats" and I liked Peter Ustinov's character.

I used to be very fond of Ray Harryhausen movies when younger, but I've been spoiled by modern computer-based special effects. Tom Baker in "The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad", though - he was a fine villain.

Talking of Tom Baker - I don't get as much pleasure out of "Doctor Who" as I used to. There are a few particular stories that remain rather fine - Genesis Of The Daleks, The Deadly Assassin - but a lot of them seem very patchy now. But again, Mr Baker: top man. :)

What else...? There are any number of films that are far less effective when you know what's going to happen, of course. Scorsese's version of "Cape Fear", for example.

And "Jamon Jamon" was far less sexy than I remembered the last time I watched it.

8. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Lost Boys used to be my favorite film, but now I just cringe thinking about it, especially that greased up Michael Bolton look alike playing the sax.

9. Uzeless

Uzeless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grease 2.........................cough.

10. Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really liked the first two Mad Max films when they first came out and bought the Special Edition of the original film last year to find that it was really cheesy and hadn't passed the test of time at all.

Others may disagree

11. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's Kenny G isn't it? :rotfl:

Cocktail. Loved it when it first came out. Watched it recently and what a load of ******** it is. I'm sure there are loads I could mention, which I will as they come to me.

Still love The Lost Boys BTW :smashin:

12. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heat.
    Some will argue with this, and I think it's a cinematic masterpiece, but now I can only watch the bank robbery in the middle, because the rest of the film is so damn slow that I can't stand it.
    Actually I have this problem with most of Michael Mann's films (lovely to watch the first time, only later do you notice that it's 50% too long)

13. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    COCKTAIL - Shame on your Sgt.

14. Sam Fox

Sam Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really enjoyed Austin Powers when I first saw it with my mates at the cinema when we were all ******! But then I watched it again with my gf and her parents, suddenly it didn't seem funny at all! :suicide:

15. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad it's not just me then...

Four weddings and a funeral would be it for me - well off of it now (but for some reason I really wanna see it again thinking about it - maybe it's Kristen Scott Thomas...)...

Independence day isn't that bad - MOST American films seem to be all gung ho "we're the best at everything" imho - that doesn't stop me enjoying them at face value though...

16. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    my vote goes to Independance Day as well, really liked it at the cinema, then i saw the video and thought thats poo!!! I saw it in a second hand shop for a fiver and left it there!!! noteven a DTS soundtrack could get me to buy it!

For my money its the greatest turkey of all time. awful awful film!!

Gary

17. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not wanting to sound like an echo, but I too have to say Independance Day.

I brought the Region 1 collectors edition. I thought it would be a great film to show of my system. It was not that great infact, maybe I was expecting more.

Then I made the mistake of watching the extras disc, which contained clips of the actors saying that the film is a "great triumpth over evil story" and then one of ther actors said "America; the greatest country on earth". It was at that instant I decided to sell the dvd on Ebay.

18. Paul Howles

Paul Howles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could get some stick for this, but when I recently bought the unrated uncut super duper 'Evil Dead' DVD, I was surprised at how dated and cheesy it was. I couldn't believe it was the same squirm inducing film I saw back in the early eighties. Maybe I've been desensitised - or is that lobotamised?

19. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't see ID at the cinema but I did buy it on video a few years ago to show off my pro logic system and I bought it again when it was released on DVD.

I have always liked the film and still do because it does what it set out to do very well and was a feel good, propaganda piece for American consumption that would never have been fully appreciated by foreigners.

20. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Put me down for 'Independence Day'. I'm not usually one for a bandwagon; but in this case...:clap:

It was already in mind at 'You liked it...'!:D

At the cinema, I found all those moments really grating; but I thought it had its fun moments and was okay.

Since then, I've tried to watch it again and not once managed to reach an hour in (far less, in fact :) )

A few months ago, after listening to friends (thinking I must be missing something), I made the 'mistake' of buying the DVD. It was one of those 'well you have to have it' purchases. After having tried to watch it again this week (and failing maaaaarvelously :devil: ), I can now say:

No it isn't! :laugh:

21. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Or should that be Power Rangers?:)