You learn something new everyday....

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and from the unlikeliest of sources sometimes... :)

I was just in B&Q buying some cupbaord doors, and proceeded to the checkout, ready for the nightmare that was about to ensue..
I've got a debit card which has developed the annoying habit of never swiping through shop tills at the first attempt, sometimes not at all.

I get to the till, the lady serving me tries to swipe the card and fails... I apologise for the state of the card, she tries again, and again, and again...
Then she remembers something, and pulls a bog standard B&Q carrier bag from the box and throws my debit card in there... I'm looking confused by now :confused:

She turns around and tells me, "this'll sort it out.... it reduces the scratches so the machine can read it - I try not to smile to hard :rolleyes:
( you've seen B&Q crinkly opaque carrier bags right? :D )

and guess what... after tightening the bag around the card, she swipes it through the tiil, and it only goes through first time! :eek:

It's a known workaround for dodgy-swiping cards, after getting chatting, all the long-serving staff use this to get around problems with cards..

Genius :clap:

Thats quite cool, but with chip and pin you would never have had that problem ;) .

You will feel very stupid suggesting that in another shop next time it won't work, and even more stupid if it still doesn't work . :rotfl:

What nonsense. When I was in my old job, I used my shirt

andrenochrome said:
How the heck did they realise this would work?
No idea... Imagine how many smiles were wiped from oh so many knowing faces the first time somebody tried it and it worked..! :)

McFly said:
Thats quite cool, but with chip and pin you would never have had that problem.
That's what I was in the middle of explaining to her, when the receipt suddenly appeared in front of me.......
Maybe you should write to B&Q and apply for a job as their top EFT Systems consultant :D

Lucy said:
What nonsense. When I was in my old job, I used my shirt
Admittedly, trying to shine shoes with a B&Q carrier bag would just be plain silly. :nono:

^ now why did you change name to Lucy?

The Dude said:
She turns around and tells me, "this'll sort it out.... it reduces the scratches so the machine can read it

What she really meant to say was 'this is a special card cloning B&Q bag' :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom