You have a blank slate, what would you buy

Fonshack

Standard Member
Reaction score
I still have an old massive TV (not flat screen)

And no surround sound.

We are buying a new house and going to spend on a home entertainment system.

I have already bought the PC that will run XBMC etc.

What amps and speakers would you buy?

I have no idea of budget, but I can say we dont want the most expensive, or the cheapest, something in the middle would be good for us.

So if you were starting over, what would you get?

Many thanks,

Fonshack.

See that piece of string over there? How long is it? :smashin:

Only joking, so much will depend on the room size/layout, seating position etc. Need to know this first!

Presumably you will be buying a new TV. Choose that first and then work out your budget for the rest. It's okay saying that you have no budget and you want to buy something in the middle but that means nothing to us.

At the budget(ish) end, I would start by looking at the £500 receivers from Onkyo and Yamaha and a package such as the Q-Acoustics 2000 speakers
Mid-price - £1k-1500 on a receiver and a speaker package such as Monitor Audio Apex (small) or RX6 package (full size). Other speaker options from the likes of Focal, Kef, B&W etc.
High end - Separate pre-amp/processor and speakers to match, twin subs, room acoustic treatment. 3D projector etc.

so much will depend on the room size/layout, seating position etc. Need to know this first!

Thanks for the reply.

The room is 20' 1" x 11' 5" (6.12m x 3.48m)

This will be difficult to describe, but ill do my best....

The sofa will be along the longest wall but not in the middle of the room, as on the opposite wall, a fireplace is in the middle of the room.

The TV will be next to the fireplace (which is on the longest wall, in the middle of the room.) The sofa will be opposite this.

Thanks again for your help,

Fonshack.

It's okay saying that you have no budget and you want to buy something in the middle but that means nothing to us.

Thank you for your help,

From looking at those prices you posted, I can clearly tell you I dont want to spend more than £750 on both the amp and speakers.

Thanks again,

Fonshack.

I guess you need to be looking at a second hand yamaha amp and a Kef2005 package, again second hand.

Thanks for your help guys.

I think im going to post a wanted in the classified section.

Fonshack

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom