• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

You have £400 to spend on a Laptop, what would you get?

bathfan

Basically i need to get a new Laptop and i'm looking at spending no more than £400.

I will be only using the Laptop for basic word processing, surfing the net, storing music+films and it must be able to run Football Manager 09.

I have come accross a couple of options and was just looking for peoples opinions and recommendations.

1. HP 6735s Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

2. Samsung R505 AMD RM-72 15’4 WVP 3GB Notebook PC - Micro Anvika UK

3. Toshiba Satellite L300-1AQ 15.4-inch Laptop: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

4. Dell 1545 Laptops - Cheap Dell Laptops. Buy the Dell 1545 laptop at PC World.

5. Cdiscount UK

6. Sony VAIO NR38S/S T5750 2GB 15.4" Laptop - Tesco.Direct

What Laptop would you get? If any of these.

Cheers

Grazer999

Basically i need to get a new Laptop and i'm looking at spending no more than £400.

I will be only using the Laptop for basic word processing, surfing the net, storing music+films and it must be able to run Football Manager 09.

I have come accross a couple of options and was just looking for peoples opinions and recommendations.

1. HP 6735s Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

Toshiba Satellite L300-1AQ 15.4-inch Laptop: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

imp
Dell 1545 Laptops - Cheap Dell Laptops. Buy the Dell 1545 laptop at PC World.

5. Cdiscount UK

imp
Sony VAIO NR38S/S T5750 2GB 15.4" Laptop - Tesco.Direct

Cheers

Whatever you just said, is whati am also after so will be wtaching this thread with a close eye:rotfl:. Hope people respond as this section is usually dead!

Wyshniukas

6. Sony VAIO NR38S/S T5750 2GB 15.4" Laptop - Tesco.Direct

I would choose number 2., because it has ATI3470 graphic card & HDMI connection and the price you get is reasonable. People having Samsung laptops are very happy. Keyboard feels soft & comfortable, system runs cools, just Vista OS needs to be configured & removed unnecessary software to make to work flawlessly.
But if you like Intel CPUs, I would choose 6. as it has nVidia 8400GT which supports PureVideo function + I like design & the case finish, keyboard is brilliant as it's similar to my VAIO TX.

Malky1903

Just bought a Samsung R510 from Amazon for £375 less £100 voucher I had.
2.0ghz, 2gig Ram, 160gb HDD, HDMI out.
There's 3 different models of the R510 but the extras on top of the basic are not worth it IMO.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I would choose number 2., because it has ATI3470 graphic card & HDMI connection and the price you get is reasonable. People having Samsung laptops are very happy. Keyboard feels soft & comfortable, system runs cools, just Vista OS needs to be configured & removed unnecessary software to make to work flawlessly.
But if you like Intel CPUs, I would choose 6. as it has nVidia 8400GT which supports PureVideo function + I like design & the case finish, keyboard is brilliant as it's similar to my VAIO TX.

While the points are valid for #2 OP has not specified any need for the HDMI connection. But will still perform all the tasks needed, #6 also has all that is required.

I think its more down to which you prefer aesthetically and seems best price in your view.

They will all perform the tasks you have set in your requirements, if storage of music and film is important go for the largest hard drive.

Personally i'm a fan of HP and Dell for build quality, but Sony do make good laptops but are often a bit more expensive than their competition.

They're all fairly equal in terms of what you need. The post I quoted has given good information which might be useful for the future - for example if you require to output over HDMI to a TV at some point.

Given the choice out of all them I would be most tempted by #6.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom