1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You folk with plasma's seen this? - Roku HD1000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Planet__, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    In another thread someone pointed this to me, looks pretty good for those with a plasma (or other component display :D) and a network with a digital music collection:

Roku HD1000 - User Interface

I had been experimenting with putting my music on a pc and using the panny to cue it up, but the issues of a pc in the livingroom and the resolution tweeks to get it right, just didn't cut it.

This looks just the ticket with a wireless network music server in the loft. There are other manufacturers coming out soon(Phillips SL400i*) , but selection right now is thin on the ground. The new killer kit?

*Quote from Phillips site: The SL400i has one SCART output and one SCART input (to connect your VCR or DVD player), stereo audio output & digital audio output (EU version) The US version is not equipped with SCART connectors, but features instead a component output (with selectable progressive scan support), a S-video output and an exra audio output. Do the yanks to this on purpose lol?

Hope this is relevant to you guys.

2. Rollin

Rollin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, looks good.

I emailed them a few weeks back and was told they deliver to UK too.

Pretty cheap too with a weak dollar :)

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Alternatively use an Xbox with Xbox media Player. Just as configurable and flexible though maybe not quite as smart. Plays almost every file format under the sun. Check out these links for some more info.

Link 1

Link 2

4. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wowww!!! link 2 is awesome Xbox media player rocks!! Messiah have you actualy used one?

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sure have (both my Xboxes are setup as media players linked to my network with the Relax server running on my main pc). Also set up quite a few for friends.

6. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers for the heads up on the Xbox MP Messiah, looks the DB. Yeah I agree that the Xbox MP is sweet, but there are drawbacks (isn't there always!). I watched those streaming video clips from thescreensavers.com and answered a lot of questions that popped in to my head.

Among some of the drawbacks in modding an Xbox in such a way is time consuming and a tad risky. I don't have an Xbox either, and wouldn't want such an ugly 'toy' in my livingroom. And using the joypad to control stuff? No way! The max 140Gb HD would fill up with high bitrate CD rips, with no option to go higher. What about the quality of the digital out? It looks like it can't be networked wirelessly so cables need to be ran to it. All that aside it still looks sweet and worth trying, shame it's so tricky!

7. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Scratch the bit about no option to go higher than 140Gb, the network share would that problem!

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yes, but don't forget also that you can use wireless controllers or even a Pronto or similar to control it so you better scratch the bit wouldn't want such an ugly 'toy' in my livingroom. And using the joypad to control stuff? No way! also.

So stick it in a cupboard somewhere and it is out of sight and out of mind. Job done. And don't forget the real beauty of the Xbox is it's almost infinite expandability and flexibility so you can upgrade as you wish with software and hardware to keep up with new applications etc. I bet something like the Roku can't do that - but it does look way cool :)

9. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well said and scratched about the remote! It's just that it's got to be close to the external DAC/AMP and in near proximity for the remote to work. Another games console wouldn't go amiss either :)

Does anyone in the UK sell them pre-modded and pre-loaded ready to go?

As for the Roku, new apps are in the pipeline but nowhere as sweet as the MP app on the Xbox. It was the cost and simplicity of the Roku that attracted me.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I use a Linksys (http://www.linksys.com/) wirless router and a Linksys Media Adapter linked to my plasma and amplifier to do this.

From an on screen menu, I can listen to all the music on my PC (which stays upstairs in the study) and look at all the photos on there as well. The adapter handles wma's and mp3's as well as playlists.

John

12. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Johndon, I've ruled out the Linksys media adaptor because it only has composite and Svideo outs. The way my system is set up I only have component available on the panny6 (switched throught the amp). To be honest, it was seeing one of those puppies in pcworld that but the idea in my head!

I've started another thread because what I want to achieve isn't really all that relevant to plasmas.

Messiah, I've taken on board what you have said and it's now ranked #2 in the list! Check out the other thread I have started and the issues I have raised.