1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You cant beat a good ol' SLR

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by nunew33, May 27, 2003.

1. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive now owned a Canon S45 for 6 months now.

This weekend I decided to dust down the EOS50e it replaced, get it a new battery, load up some fujifilm 200 and add on the 75-300 zoom.

Much as I love the S45, couldnt help noticing the control and quality of lens that an SLR gives you. Felt I took some really good shots (it was sunny in Lytham!!). Then realised why the camera hadnt been used for six months, I still have 12 shots to use and when I use them Ill still have to wait a few days, and even then the shots may have been misjudged. Once this film is used up back to the cupboard it goes.

The lenses have a chance of a new life (if ever I can afford EOS D60/30), but the body has no future!!!!

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    You should have a look at the new canon 10D SLR. I wish I could afford it though. :(

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought my SLR for £500+ several years ago so £1200 doesnt look too bad. Difference is, I was young free and single with lots of disposable income.

Now Im married, 2 kids, and single income, suddenly £1000+ seems like a lot of money!!!

4. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is why I held off from purchasing a digital camera for so long - I knew I just wouldnt be happy with a compact after using SLR's for so long.

Finally got a 10D a month ago and have taken around 500 shots and love it!

Great camera but even after taking photos for 20 odd years and wet printing for 15 years, the whole digital workflow takes some getting used to and can be very frustrating at times!

bv

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now thats just plain gloating!!!!

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Johnny. When you say getting used to the workflow, do you see it as an improvement?

I alway wanted a darkroom to do my own Black and white photography. Used to do it at school and still have this idea that old fashioned film and a darkroom will provide the best results and allow for more creativity.

But I cant help but come to the conclusion that digital is the next step forward and there is no looking back.

The other day I took the shot attached. it was deliberately underexposed (-2). The reason for this was my son was playing in a fairly dark room where thecurtains were drawn and the light was on his face. Auto settings with spot eval were bleaching his face, centre weighted and evaluative showed too much bacground. So underexposing it gave the best spread of light. It then took me 2 mins to supress colour up the contrast and brightness and get what looks like a good B&W photo that would have taken several experiments to get right in a dark room.

Attached Files:

7. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I find the biggest drawback is the amount of great photos that mostly end up just in a folder on a HD, with only just one or two that you deemed worthy for printing.

I have a photo printer, and I find myself being sparing printing because the ink is expensive.

At the moment using a Canon G2, until the prices of DIgital SLRs drop considerably.

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Better that than an album with best, an album with mediocre and a draw full of dross you wont throw away!!!!

Which printer do you have and whats the price per print (6x4)

9. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Well it's the epson 830 Photo printer, I'm not sure how much it would work out price per print. Not too bad probably, but with an epson printer I found that you need to use the genuine Epson cartridges otherwise it will mess up the first 10 or so print outs (becuase you used unbranded ones) as punishment.

sometimes I go to photobox.co.uk which let you have free space to upload pictures to display or/and use their printing service (which is very good). Ie you create an account put the ones you want printed into a basket, etc, pay by card and they will be with you in a couple of days just like a developers mail order.

10. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have (in a drawer) a Kodak DC265.

I also have an old Canon EOS 600 with 70 - 300 sigma lens.

Although the kodak is old, I've never really got on with a digital as well as my EOS.

I am considering the 10d, but I can't justify the cost, especially as I've just spent £1400 on a Bronica Medium Format outfit.

Maybe one day.

In case anyone's interested, you can see some of my pics at:

My Ephotozine Profile

11. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well its because I considered myself very proficient at wet printing - I knew what I needed to do, to get the results I wanted.

With digital, it can be frustrating at first because I'm not getting the results I want, first go. It just comes down to learning new stuff like colourspace, calibration, channels etc etc (photoshop becomes your best friend even more so)

But after a couple of months and lots of research on the web, reading news groups etc, I'm learning alot.

I would not go back to film / wet printing mainly because of the space but also the hassle of setting all the chemicals up, and also because I can tweak the images to my hearts content before printing out.

Here's a few pics if you're interested (some dodgy jpg compression on a couple of these)

http://www.johnbown.dsl.pipex.com/photography/899_9982_RT8.jpg
    http://www.johnbown.dsl.pipex.com/photography/899_9970_RT8.jpg
    http://www.johnbown.dsl.pipex.com/photography/theangel.jpg
    http://www.johnbown.dsl.pipex.com/photography/CRW_0395.jpg
    http://www.johnbown.dsl.pipex.com/photography/british_museum1.jpg
    http://www.johnbown.dsl.pipex.com/photography/CRW_0476.jpg
    http://www.johnbown.dsl.pipex.com/photography/CRW_0129_RT8.jpg

12. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All taken with the 10D?

Were you using neutral density filters for the shot into the sun on the beach?

All of a sudden my best pics look like holiday snaps!!!

13. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All taken with 10D. No filters used. For the beach shot I created additional masking layers for hue/saturation that allows control over RGB much like using filters with B&W film.

Details here under seeing in B&W

14. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Johnny, you really need an EOS 1D and you want to sell me the EOS10D at a bargain price for this advice!!!

Great photos. Is it a hobby or a profession?

15. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks :) A 1D would be very nice! Unfortunately I only just managed to justify the 10D to myself! It now has a job of paying for itself over the coming months.

The photography is a profession, although I've been sidetracked by working in new media for the last few years as web producer / project manager.

16. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johnny

What's the problem? It's only six grand for the 1D, and, as a pro phot, you should be able to set it off (at least partially) against expenses :devil:

Alternatively look at the Kodak 14n which is 14mp for not a lot of money :D

Collin

BTW, the pics are superb!