1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You *can* use banana plugs with the 2805!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spl23, May 5, 2005.

1. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I bought an AVR 2805 a few months ago to replace an Arcam Alpha 9 and a Yamaha DSP-A595. Before I bought it, I downloaded the manual from the US website, and saw that it used banana plugs for the speaker terminals, so I went out and bought 12 new plugs for all my cables.

When I got the 2805 unpacked, I tried to plug in one of the new plugs, and discovered it wasn't going in. On peering at the socket, it seemed that the hole was far too small for a 4mm banana, so I resorted to using bare wires. The terminals on the 2805 are very poor - particularly with thick speaker cable - really not what I expected from a £700 amplifier.

I was digging around on the web today to see if I could find any supplier of small bananas to fit the 2805, and made the happy discovery that the 2805 terminals would take standard 4mm bananas if you pulled the plastic sleeves out of them. Sure enough, I tried it, and it works - after a bit of experimentation, I found that a small self-tapping screw tightened a few turns into the sleeve in the terminal gave enough grip to be able to pull it out, leaving a 4mm socket.

I've seen blanking caps over 4mm sockets before, but I haven't seen sleeves that fit inside them before, which is why I hadn't realised they were removable. If you've got a 2805, try it - the sleeves come out with no damage, and can be put back in quite easily.

Everyone else may already know about this, in which case, my apologies - but I didn't!

2. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't worry about it. The first thing I did with my 3805 was pull them little beggers out. The sockets as you say are not the most convincing, too much flex in the mounting. I've never liked using bare wires at the amp end of leads, too much chance of a stray strand going where it shouldn't and far easier to plug in a cable when groping around the back of the stand.

3. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just what I was looking for!!!

Apparently the banana plugs are illegal in most european countries because they actually fit into electrical sockets over there, and hence they don't want you to do that :)

4. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing really I know quite a few Germans and French guys and non of them are stupid enough to plug their speakers into the mains!

5. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thats the problem, a French guy did plug a mains lead into the sockets and bang, one less frenchy! (No offence intended)

6. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hang on you cant plug a mains lead into speakers What can be done is plug the speaker leads into the mains sockets but anybody who does this deserves to get fried French or not :eek: I believe it's called natural selection survival of the smartest!!!

7. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well thats the problem on the continent the French mains plugs are 4mm, the same as the terminals. And as we share 230V with Europe all models are the same so it applies to all.

8. TheGoose

TheGoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I have been reading through the posts and funnily enough my Denon Amp seems to have the same problem with the black plastic sleeves inside the 4mm banana plugs. But when i unscrew one of the terminals all the way out the thickness of the binding post indicates to me that it isn't even thick enough to compensate for a 4mm plug.

Well i'm off now and i,m going to try the self tapping screw theory, i will post another reply to tell you all the results.

Mike

Ok back again, yes it worked fine. Used a self tapping screw and all 18 of the little buggers came out no problem. And into the bin they went TA RA!!