1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You can only choose one!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gary D, Aug 29, 2005.

?
  1. Film

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Television

29 vote(s)
    63.0%
  1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    A some members know i have a habit of watching TV Boxsets in a couple of days over a weekend - i'm currently 20 episodes into Lost Season 1 with 24 being the template for fulling a weekend with TV goodness. :D

A while ago i started a thread on "has TV got beter than film" this thread is an extension of that thread - would you choose TV or Film if you could only choose one?

TV - Tv shows give you the chance to really get to know a character to understand them and there motivations in a way that film never can :D with some fantastic drama from both sides of the pond, comedies that bond nations together - Only Fools and Horses, the office, hancocks half hour, Rising Damp, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder from the UK. Scrubs, Fraiser, Cheers, Taxi, Malcome in the middle, and the giant that its the greatest TV show of all time - The Simpsons

Scifi shows, Star Trek (all versions), Battlestar the x-files, Lost, Stargate, Dr Who etc etc.

Dramas - Messiah, State of Play, Spooks, The Grid, 24, West wing, Alias, The Sapranos etc etc

Film - Comedies - American Pie 1, Airplane, Dogma, Clerks, its a mad mad mad world etc etc etc.

Scifi - Close encounters, AI, Minority Report, Blade Runner, 2001, Harry Potter, LOTR's, Indiana Jones, Star Trek :( etc etc.

Dramas - American Beauty, Citizen Kane etc etc

So if you could only choose one which one would it be?

TV or Film?

Gary

Please note - i know the above lists are not exhustive - they just to give you the "drift" (so please dont pick over the list )

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Yep, its got to be TV for me. Never thought I would say that, but I have been watching more and more TV show DVDs recently than movies.

And I couldnt go with out my battlestar fix[​IMG]

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,514
    For the about of time spent watched viewing it has to be TV a really good film only comes round new and then. But TV can generate a number of great series in a week and then make them into long running series.
    I have more TV series on DVD than films and on each of them disk is probably twice as much viewing time on them.

4. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I tend to watch more films than tv.
    With films 80% dvd and 20% cinema
    With Tv, series like 24 and Wildlife and Historical Documentries seem to be my only forte - oh yeah a bit of bollywood escapism now and then on the asian channels.

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    I can't choose...

6. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Never watch tv so film for me

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Tv for me these days. Used to be more into films, but now with all these great new shows I find myself in front of the box more than at the cinema.

I do watch movies on DVD, but as Garret said, a good film doesnt come along that often.

These days theres so much to watch. 24, Lost, BSG, SG-1, Atlantis, O.C., Smallville, the list goes on.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    A hard choice but I will have to agree with AML. I love my shows as well as my movies but shows are very handy as they only last 40mins and you can either watch one or a fair few in a row. MY fav shows are.

x-files
    lost
    csi
    bsg
    sg-1
    atlantis
    any star trek except ds-9
    dead zone
    the 4400
    numb3rs
    firefly
    the grid

9. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hard choice, as when a good film comes around it can't be beaten. But recently TV has been excellent, you can really immerse yourself in the story and get to know the charcters over 24 episode, my current favourites being:

Smallville
    House
    CSI
    Lost

Rob

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I voted for TV, only because there are so many decent TV shows available at the moment. But, to be honest, I think I'd still vote for film if push-comes-to-shove, simply because I'd be deprived of all my fave Miyazaki/Syudio Ghibli stuff, all the wonderful foreign language movies, and many of my video-nasties. :(

And I simply won't stand for that! :D I need my nasties! :clap:

Pooch

11. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Film for me. Although I agree that TV has improved enormously mainly due to the influx of Ameriacan Drama stuff (as GaryD lists above). I own a few hundred DVDs and only 7-8 of these are TV Boxsets. To me, this tells it's own story. A really good film can be watched over and over again. IMHO with the exception of the really great comedy shows, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder(s) etc, I couldn't imagine watching some of these huge story arc TV shows over and over.

I love 24, Alias, The Shield etc and own them, but will I watch them as many times as my favourite films? Nope!