1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You Can Count On Me

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice little indie film this, from director Kenneth Lonergan, who also wrote/co-wrote Gangs of New York, Analyze This and Analyze That. This is his directorial debut and a fine one it is too!

It tells the story of a brother who returns home to see his sister and the events that take place during his stay. Around this, various relationships are explored, between adults and children. Although primarily a drama, there are also a few gags in there.

The characters are great - I particularly liked Matthew Broderick's character as the weird, obsessive boss. You would definitely not want to work for this man! :D

The film has had fantastic reviews from both critics and viewers, which I would agree with.

IMDB page is here: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0203230

The R1 DVD transfer is pretty good with decent contrast and colour saturation. There is a little grain throughout but nothing distracting.

Sadly, sound is only Dolby Digital 2.0 but as this is the only release available, it's worth putting up with, particularly as this is primarily a film involving character development and dialogue (which is very clear on the soundtrack).

There are a few sparse extras on the DVD: a trailer, some talent profiles, and a featurette.

Definitely one to check out! :)

Attached Files:

2. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    good film but came out over a year ago!:confused:

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah so? I've only just seen it and no one seems to have mentioned it on the forum before, so I thought I would! :D

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quite liked it when I saw it at the pics

a bit slow in places

I think it is a renter personally

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the whole pace of the movie is slow. It's a bit like The Good Girl in that respect. These types of movies tend to be that kind of pace and personally I find it refreshing. Kind of a mini-series in a movie :)

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I agree with SG that this is a worthwhile view. Though for I fear many people would rather wait for its appearance as a late night C4 or B2 weekend movie. This would be unfortunate as the story is definitely to be enjoyed and empathised by both genders as it meanders through both intra- and inter-relationships.
    You get; sibling quibles, child raising dilemmas and work sexual/relations :)devil: ) and attrite religious reasoning within relationship commitments all rolled in a neat freschetta base of small town specular gaze.
    In short, a singles or couples movie that doesn't leave you diabetic:)

7. Joe Soap

Joe Soap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you speak English m8 :confused:

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112

Yes, but you obviously do not.
    Are you still losing soap in the shower? Oh, no sorry, according to general chat you're employing a lady boy now for felching duties:rolleyes: :D

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you enjoyed it Encaser. Knew you would :clap:

10. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: