Yoshi in mario sunshine

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by stewarthollyhead, Oct 14, 2002.

1. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I usually like to complete games without any help but I guess I am at a loss here...

I have activated yoshi (im on 30 shines. Yes Groundy I know I;m awful lol). Anyway Ijust dont see the point ofusing him. YEs he's a little faster and can jump higher). Bur do you actually need him?

Is there shines you can only get with him on delphi island and if so where?

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got him myself and I imagine you will need him to get out of reach shines at some point. thought it was a bit harsh having to kill all those yoshis on the beach at pinna park.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You will need Yoshi to access certain secret levels in and around Delfino Island. You cannot bring him in to worlds though. Instead, there will be certain shines in certain worlds that require the use of Yoshi and you will get him inside the level. The first time you will need him in a level is in Ricco Harbour on the last shine - called Yoshi's Great Fruit Adventure.

Yoshi will also become available in all worlds after you have got the 8 initial shines. He is needed to get certain coins in order to make 100 and also needed to get a few of the secret Shines (of which there are 2 in each world) after you have got the first 8.

Did I say I completed it a while back with all 120 Shines ;). Been playing Mario 64 again and am currently enjoying Secret Sand Land :).

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how many shines do you need to finish? 8 in each world?

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It depends on how many shines you pick up in and around Delfino. You don't actually need to find all 8 (or 11 inc. the 2 secret shines and 100 coin shine) in each world to complete the game. If I remember correctly, the final world opened up round about the 70 or 80 shine mark.

6. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - I am currently trying to get the mario pinball shine but can only ever get 6/8 coins. i then always fall down the middle...

2 questions:
    - by the way how on earth do you help the guy on the little island (in the oceon on delphino island). he cant swim and he wants to get off There appears to be a little chimney by it.
    - also on the rooftops there is a little tower with a window it also has a weird stuff coming out of it (Like in the chimney).are they connected and how do i get that weird stuff our of the holes?

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

You never really help him off the island but he does dissappear of his own accord. You have to get Yoshi out to that island using the boats which is difficult. Then you use Yoshi to spray juice all over the bubbly orange stuff blocking the pipe. It dissappears and down you go. Be warned though that the bonus level down this pipe is perhaps the most difficult in the game. Beautiful water effects down there though.

Just spray it with Yoshi's juice and it dissappears.

8. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    As I understand it, the final world opens once you have defeated shadow mario in the 7 regular worlds. I guess theoretically, you could complete the game at just over 50 shines.

I am up to 100 now and have finished the game, just got to go back now and mop up the last 20 shines.

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably correct Bishman. I didn't really take much notice of the exact moment the final world opened up as I waited until I had all 120 Shines before going in.

As regards getting all 120 shines - it's absolutely impossible without some kind of guide. By this stage, all you will be needing are blue coins and some of them are just held in the most stupid of places. Without a guide, you would literally have to spray every surface of every area of every world to find them all. Even with a guide, it's still difficult finding some of them. There is 30 in each world.

10. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

11. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174

Them's the best bits! Also, try going back into those levels after getting the shine the first time.

12. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Cheers Groundy.

I am trying to wait until I am banging my head against a wall before resorting to a guide, although I must admit to being tempted a few times. I still have to get 1 secret shine in 6 of the levels, there are a few 100 coin shines for me still to get and I think I also have to get the eighth regular shine in one of them too.

I can imagine that I will resort to a guide eventually, although at the moment I am still discovering new things. Just last night I discovered that the birds flying around are there for more than just show, that was a nice discovery :D The mrs discovered that spraying the ground was beneficial a couple of nights back and that has reaped some rewards too. It truly is a classic game, with sooooo much to discover.

Mind you, even with a guide it is going to be a slow process, as there is no way I can remember which blue coins I have or haven't got and will have to follow any guide a coin at a time .

13. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Why Go back??

The one where you have to get all the red coins after bouncing on the button, is hard as hell. Cant get anywhere near all of them before the time runs out.

14. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (i) There's an excellant Paperback book guide free with this months CUBE Magazine by the way guys.
    (ii) They also have a review of timesplitters which they gave 95%!

(iii) Mario party only got 69% at IGN are you guys gonna get it? I am still tempted...

(iv) finally a question for GROUNDY. Now that you have finished mario sunshine and started playing Mario64 again. Which is better in your heinsight view?

15. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Just keep practicing Geezer, having the backpack when you go back for the red coins helps out a lot.

16. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't wait for Timesplitters 2 - I've had this on pre-order for months now :)

Been playing Mario 64 for a few days now and the most striking thing about it is just how bad the camera system is. You have so little control over it compared to Mario Sunshine - I keep flicking my right-thumb looking for the Camera Control Stick on the N64 pad but it's not there :D. The control system in Sunshine is a lot more refined and fluid as well.

However, Mario 64 was just so innovative and holds a lot of nostalgia. I would say the levels were more fun to play and better structured in terms of discovering new things and neat little touches etc. The levels are smaller though and you can get all 6 stars in a very short time on repeat playing.

I would say when it comes down to it that Mario 64 was, and still is the better game.

17. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You have Fluud for that level its just seriously hard. Getting stuck again now, on 45 shines