Yooka-Laylee (Q1 2017) Wii-U

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Previous working title Project Ukulele, the new 3D platformer is from the creative team behind Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country, is the spiritual successor to the Banjo-Kazooie series.

The title characters are Yooka, a chameleon whose tongue can be used to grapple on to items, and Laylee, a bat who can carry Yooka through the air for a short period and also fire sonic blasts. Both were designed by Steve Mayles, who designed Banjo, Kazooie, and the modern Kong family while at Rare, Ltd.

Yooka-Laylee's creators, Playtonic Games (a studio of ex-Rare developers), will launch a Kickstarter for the game tomorrow (May 1). Backers who put £10 GBP or $15 USD will receive a copy of the game upon release. Other rewards include soundtracks, art books, and a “64-bit" game mode. It has also been revealed that Playtonic Games is planning to give Yooka-Laylee a Wii U release.

If funded, Yooka-Laylee will be released on Windows, Mac, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Wii U. The exact timing of each version is contingent upon the success of the Kickstarter campaign and its stretch goals.

keyartfinal-3jpg-2c5cca_640w.jpg
yookaflightjpg-ec2c29_640w.jpg
yookalayleeduojpg-9d255d_640w.jpg

The purple one looks just like Stitch.

Not sure I like the looks of that video so doubt I'll be signing up, but who knows it could be good.

Over 1.1 mil now :)

What! That's mad. Huge jump in over 24hrs.

The game development would not cost anywhere near that, where will the money go.

Maybe Nintendo should do kickstarter for next Mario 3D game lol

I read that they want to double up on the size of the team. Guess it makes sense

Playtonic;
"we’re acutely aware of the concerns surrounding Kickstarter ‘bloat’. Backers can be assured that the Playtonic team is comprised of vastly experienced game developers, and we’ve carefully planned our stretch feature pledges to ensure that they won’t negatively impact on the creation of our game."

Back when Rare were good, they made some fantastic games - they have made more than ten times their planned Kickstarter funding for their new game, so I have high hopes it will be a good one. They've rebranded themselves as Playtonic Games as I think MS owns the Rare brand now. Anyway, I decided to throw a tenner their way in exchange for a free Steam copy of the game and a Special Thanks in the game's credits. :)

Details here: Yooka-Laylee - A 3D Platformer Rare-vival! by Playtonic Games — Kickstarter

They're intending to release on PC and console.

I am tempted to pay £15 for a copy of this as it is Wii U confirmed.

Wii U-wise, what do you get for your tenner?

Hopefully a cracking good platformer !! :) (for £15)

YOWSERS

Happy next birthday to me .......

Looking sublime.
Not sure on getting the WiiU version or go with PS4 though.

Already kickstartered the Wii U version here. Havent seen the new trailer yet though ///

Although I can't see this at work, does it offer anything unique on the gamepad? This is an essential purchase for me, but on which console? This, or PS4? I imagine the PS4 will be more polished, but if the gamepad interface is a bit different, I would definitely consider it for Wii U instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom