ylod/rlod problem

mav75pry

Standard Member
First thing sorry for asking a question about ylod/rlod as it seams to be alot out there. My nephew ps3 has this problem as he can not aford the 150pounds to get it fix he has asked me to have ago as i am ok at things like this i will have a go at eney thing so i look up a few videos and ask a few questions. So i striped the ps3 down to the m/borde cleaned as i whent along clean the old thermal/paste off used a heat gun as it sed on the videos put new thermal paste on i used (ARCTIC SILVER5) Spreded it over the cpu/gpu put it all back together and still the same problem. so i did it all over again put it back together and still the same problem what mite i be doing wrong or is it some thig els wrong withe it please help some one:lease:

mav75pry

Standard Member
should i give it one more go or is it died. The only thing i mite have done wrong is put to much thermal paste on if this is the case would this still corse this problem.

flipfella

I don't think putting a too thick coat of thermal paste would be the issue, (it will not be good for the long term though)

When you first turn on the PS3 if it still has the YLOD the reflow has not worked, the unit would not have been on long enough to generate much heat and the thermal paste will not be the issue

if it turned on as normal then shut down from a overheat then it could be down to the thermal paste.

Sorry

mav75pry

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply when i turn it on it gose from green light then to yellow then red 3beeps then flashing?

flipfella

Thats the Yellow light of Death, I also had this a few weeks ago, but the reflow with a heat gun worked for me (although BF3 crashed on me today, but I now have backup up of my PS3 it's just a matter of time until it goes again)

Just waiting for news of the new PS3 slim now

Sorry the reflow did not work for you this time. I am not a expert, and have only done this my self the once. But I used a guide that recommended applying liquid flux before using the heat gun, so maybe this made the difference for me?

Maybe someone else with more reflow experience can jump in

mav75pry

Standard Member
How long should you heat up the chips for i did it for about 25/30sec e/chip. I have seen a vid that some one heated the whole m/bord up for about 10mins that cart be right can it. i have done this three times now and still not working if some one has more idears it would be nice

paper112

Standard Member
mav75pry said:
How long should you heat up the chips for i did it for about 25/30sec e/chip. I have seen a vid that some one heated the whole m/bord up for about 10mins that cart be right can it. i have done this three times now and still not working if some one has more idears it would be nice

I do 2 min from about 6 inches wit a 1000watt heat gun.. only had one failure!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom