YLOD, Really need the disc back

PaulJPickerin88

Novice Member
A friend of mine has just had YLOD, and there coming on thursday with a replacement, but his MW2 disc is stuck in the drive, and they said it could take upto 5 weeks to get the disc back.

We've tried the hold eject button down whilst switching it back on method.

Are there any other ways of getting the disc back??

Battle

A friend of mine has just had YLOD, and there coming on thursday with a replacement, but his MW2 disc is stuck in the drive, and they said it could take upto 5 weeks to get the disc back.

We've tried the hold eject button down whilst switching it back on method.

Are there any other ways of getting the disc back??

If its a 60gig there is no way to get it out. If its any other model the "turn off and press the eject button" should work but I dont know the exact method needed to get it to work.

That said you will be very lucky to get the disc back from Sony in 5 weeks - it took them 13 weeks for them to get me my Resident Evil 5 disc back - I acutally went out and bought another copy as I couldnt wait and then traded it in when I got the other one back.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

Kingsd316

search on here for the "hairdryer fix".
it will enable him to get his disc out, no problems, and possibly long enough to back up his saves,etc..

here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-hardware/1104721-just-fixed-ylod-hairdryer.html

there are other thread, so like i say, search for them.

As i said in my thread on the hardware section, people do go down the hairdryer route to try to get their games out and back up hard drives will there be any implications from sony if the casing starts to warp cause ive read that this can happen, are they likely to call me up in a week or so and say we want more than £131 cause the console you sent in is completely ****ed?

Last edited by a moderator:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
will there be any implications from sony if the casing starts to warp cause ive read that this can happen, are they likely to call me up in a week or so and say we want more than £131 cause the console you sent in is completely ****ed?

if i didnt think you were being serious, i would have to laugh...urban myth i expect..warped case??
and if they did phone, how would they prove it was you?, and it didnt happen elsewhere.

Kingsd316

if i didnt think you were being serious, i would have to laugh...urban myth i expect..warped case??
and if they did phone, how would they prove it was you?, and it didnt happen elsewhere.

Dont i feel stupid now :facepalm:

Ok i know what im doing when i get home tonight, 1 towel, 1 very powerful hairdryer, plenty of cans of beer and one 90 min game of football on the TV, if that dont fix it nothing will!

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
you dont have to go overboard with the hairdryer, but remember to leave it long enough to cool down inside before you switch back on again...at least this way, you get the disc out, and possibly enough time to sync your trophies/back up saves,etc.

Kingsd316

THE HAIRDRYER METHOD WORKS!!

Im so happy, going to give it a good old test tonight if its still working by the morning im going to cancel sonys refurb and get down to CEX to sell it, or i might keep it till it dies again, just a small warning it does start to warp the plastic if you leave it on for too long!!

does anyone know how long a back up takes and can you exclude certain things from it? (As i dont really care about the films just the photos on it)

Thanks again RottenFox!!

Last edited:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
just copy the photos, and game saves, and sync your trophies if you want..
a lot quicker than a backup, and if it fails, just do the fix again.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
THE HAIRDRYER METHOD WORKS!!

Im so happy, going to give it a good old test tonight if its still working by the morning im going to cancel sonys refurb and get down to CEX to sell it, or i might keep it till it dies again, just a small warning it does start to warp the plastic if you leave it on for too long!!

does anyone know how long a back up takes and can you exclude certain things from it? (As i dont really care about the films just the photos on it)

Thanks again RottenFox!!

No point in bothering doing a full backup if you're going to swap the machine. Very very little is transferred to a new machine when you restore the backup onto a different machine.
Just do a manual copy of your game saves (& anything else you want to save) onto a USB drive.

Kingsd316

No point in bothering doing a full backup if you're going to swap the machine. Very very little is transferred to a new machine when you restore the backup onto a different machine.
Just do a manual copy of your game saves (& anything else you want to save) onto a USB drive.

Thanks, i read this after doing the whole backup which took just over 2 hours, you say hardly anything is transfered when putting it onto a new machine, what doesnt, TBH as long as the photos do the rest can be replaced or should i just copy the photos seperatly aswell??

Also anybody know how long the hairdryer fix works for, thinking of keeping it now cause apart from what i did to it last night the machine has been well and truely looked after

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Thanks, i read this after doing the whole backup which took just over 2 hours, you say hardly anything is transfered when putting it onto a new machine, what doesnt, TBH as long as the photos do the rest can be replaced or should i just copy the photos seperatly aswell??

Also anybody know how long the hairdryer fix works for, thinking of keeping it now cause apart from what i did to it last night the machine has been well and truely looked after

The hairdryer fix is only a temporary fix. Sometimes it lasts just a few hours sometimes a few days. Your machine is not fixed & it WILL YLOD again, guaranteed!

Your photos should be ok with the backup (but a manual copy would've probably only taken you 10 mins:rotfl:). Might still be worth doing a manual save of your photos onto USB (triangle button, 'copy multiple') as the restore of the backup onto your new PS3 will take another 2 hours to do.

Here's a list of what will transfer to your new machine
PlayStation Support Guides- Back up content to another PS3
The main (annoying) things not transferred are copy protected saves & any game data (patches/installs/demos/DLC & PSN games)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom