1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yippee, just go a great projector.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, May 24, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

I Went out and demoed the Sony HS2 this morning, and after being suitably impressed I bought one, after knocking the dealer down by £150.00.

Far far better than I had expected. Sure it has screen door, but no more than the Z1 in my opinion, and from my 13 foot viewing seat its not a problem.

Nice and simple to operate, long throw makes room placement much easier for me and the picture on an s-video lead is great. Hopefully, the dealer is going to get me a component 'multi' convertor from Sony, but if anyone can point me in the right direction on the net, I would be greatfull.:smashin: , so the picture can only get better.

To be honest, I finally have a picture that I was expecting from the Sanyo. The Sony HS2 exhibits zero, none, nada, nilch vertical banding and no on screen noise.
    If this machine is anything to go by then the Hs10 must be a beauty.

So I am over the moon, to be honest its plug and play home cinema and thats really what I am after. As the ritz pointed out, or rather his wife did, sometimes its nice just to watch a film, rather than forensically examine a picture.

Finally, I have realised that its all well and good reading articles on the web but the only way to see if a projector is right for you is too see it running with your own eyes.

Oh, and playing Tiger Woods in Dynamic mode is bloody brilliant.

Talk soon,

Captain Benefit.

2. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Glad you like the projector, it makes a 21 inch tv seem like a postage stamp,

In regards to the converter you are looking for, www.lektropaks.co.uk
    this firm do lots of little gadgets and converters,
    have a look

3. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cap,

Glad your happy with the HS2. Its a good little machine.
    And a lot quieter than the HS10 and so easy to set up.
    Did you buy it in Bristol ?
    I have not seen the Z1, do you think the sony is better ?

I guess I know what you will be doing tonight.

Ahhh the EUROVISION ON A BIG SCREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!:suicide:

Good luck and happy viewing:smashin:

Ghidorah

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    nah, rented out Red Dragon and Mr Deeds, not sure which will be the scarier though.

Ghidorah, as for the comparsion between the Z1. As yet not sure.

I think that the Z1 had slightly better contrast, but in my dark room not at all a problem.
    Again, on paper the Z1 has a higher resolution but I was/am happy to for go that for a 'clean' picture.
    As I said, the HS2 is plug and play cinema, you cannot over tweak it and for me thats a good thing. There are lots of options and tweaks available on the Z1, of you wanna bust them open.
    As before, I am pleased with the s-video picture, so hopefully, the component lead will improve things further.

I bought it from the guys at Radfords after your heads up;) Top service, easy to talk to, no pressure, and two cups of coffee in the demo room.

Honestly, playing Tiger Woods, the x-box game of the moment is unbeleivable, the picture is sooo crystal clear, its almost like being there. Earlier I shot a nine under par as I really got into it, instead of getting upset at the vertical banding on show.:smashin:

You know what mate, sometimes, in life less certainly can be more.

Happy joy to all, have a great bank holiday.

Captain Benefit.

5. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Glad your happy at last mate, hope it stays that way for you :)

6. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Captain....

I was at Radfords today....and i told the guy about you , and he said you came in to buy the HS2 :)

I demo(ed) the Sharp Z91E.......WOW....what a picture....and NO rainbows !!!!!!!!! I tried my best .....but i couldn't find them !!!

Before that i was over the road at Paul Roberts....and i saw the Dreamvision......what a pathetic excuse for a DLP projector....rainbows all over the place !!!!!:happy:

I was rally impressed by the Z91E.......only thing though it's 600 ansi lumes according to the specs....but Kevin said it's 800 ansi lumens..... ??????:confused:

I almost bought it.......the wife just HAD to restrain me........i have a few other commitments first.....but man i was truely impressed.........we watched a bit of "gone in 60 sec.", then the matrix, then a few animations, and then "behind enemy lines".....

Great, clear, sharp pictures... and with the short throw....it made a MASSIVE viewable screen......

Anyway...i have his number now...and i will probably phone him when i'm ready to get it.....

Cheers..

PS.... Glad you are happy with your HS2.........

Can i come and check it out ???? LOL (Joke) :laugh:

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I also saw that Sharp. You are spot on, its a FANTASTIC machine that clearly puts LCD to bed however, at present, slightly out of my price range :(

I saw one rainbow when we were looking at U571 region edition, but it was so quick not really a bother. One thing I did notice was that my left eye seemed to really strain when I viewed the Sharp, which was odd.

Radfords offered me a cracking interest free deal on it too, but I couldnt really justify that cash on what is in essence a 4:3 panel, although the 16:9 mode seemed great, it resulted in considerable over-scan which may have been off-putting in the long run.

With regards to the HS2, having just watched Red Dragon in S-video, I can say that I am very impressed. Very clear, no banding and I got right into the film and forgot about the 'picture'.

This may sound odd, but the picture had a real depth to it, with the edges of the cast being very sharp and very defined. I have refrained from using the free cinema filter as this adds darkness to the lamp, if you are using a light room. My room is dark so no worries there, and to me on screen, blacks look black.

We can arrange a demo for you, but wait until I get the component lead so you can see the best picture quality.

Finally, I am online again as my wife is in big brother mode, which leaves me to potter around......:boring:

8. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Glad you like your new toy mate !

Well, it's true....i'ts kind of off-putting that it's only a 4:3 lens, but as you said....the widescreen images were really good. I don't know what overscan is....so obviously missed that one...

Kevin ( Radfords guy ) said he'll never buy from an online retailer ( off course he'll say that ) , but it's kind of true, because at least you can go in and check out the kit for yourself...plus you never know if you're getting a grey import or something.

At the moment i'm undecided...although i won't buy one right now

I wonder if there are new products in the pipeline that's worth buying in about two or three months time.........

I just cannot put my finger on ANY PJ at the moment that doesn't have something about it that bugs me...... but i must say the Z91E today came very close to being a very attractive option to go for ( i had the AE300 in mind before this...but i haven't seen it in action yet )

I sometimes hate myself for being a gadget fanatic !!!!!! Why can't i just be normal !!!!!!!!:mad:

Ah well...guess i'll just have to wait...maybe sharp comes out with a Z92E with WXGA !!!!!!!!!! Whuahahahahahaha ( high hopes ! ):laugh:

Cheers

9. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey!!
    Bit of a Bristol thread this.

I nearly went for the Z91E myself the ony thing that put me off was the 4:3 panel as well.
    I saw no rainbows at all and thought the picture was great.And the PJ itself looks great as well.

I would not buy a PJ of the internet.
    I looked at the Sony HS2, then had two HS10s, then tried the Z91, all of which Radfords let me try at home.
    Try doing that off the internet!!!!!!
    But after reading all the good stuff about the Pana 300 I decided to that one. Just as good as the Z91 and allmost as good as the HS10 (IMHO) But nowhere near as loud.

What we need now is someone with a Z1 and a few other PJs to see them all together for a shootout.

Happy viewing all

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Your reasons for delaying your purchase are sound. In the 5 - 6 months that I decided to research front projection the market changed, prices dropped and new technology arrived.

For instance, the Z1, when I initially enquired about it was £1500.00 excluding VAT. Its now down to £999.99 ex. @ Nexnix. Panasonic have brought 'smooth screen' to the party and DVI is now becoming popular.

5 months ago, when I started asking questions here, Kramer advised me that although £1500.00 is a lot of money, its hardly a remortgage and that has always stuck in my mind. I really wanted to buy that Sharp yesterday, but as I told Radfords, in truth at present I simply cannot afford it.

So, heres my plan. Spend the next 12 - 24 months enjoying the 'basic' Sony HS2, open an ISA, put away a few quid a month and then when the next evolution in PJ tech arrives, go for it. I really suspect that there will be massive improvements within the range and things like vertical banding can hopefully be fully removed should LCD survive.

As for buying online, well, the Z1 has really been the only problem purchase that I have had online. My amp and my speakers were all bought online. Saying that I dealt with Nexnix over the phone and they even have a shop in Horsham so can they really be called an true 'e-tailer'?

There was something nice about buying from Radfords though. Nice bunch of guys, well into AV, no pressure and reasonable prices. When a projector similar to the Sharp arrives at that price with a native 16:9 panel its gonna get very interesting and I will certainly pay them a visit.

By the way, av-sales are selling the Sharp for just over £1800.00. A saving of £600.00? The decision is yours.:devil: Look here -

http://www.av-sales.com/

cheers,

Captain Benefit.

11. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Definately up for a future Bristol shoot out....

It could be like fight club...five or six angst ridden men talking about the merits of FP:laugh:

Remember, the first rule of projection club?

'DONT LAUGH AT THE CRAP ONE' :nono:

tally ho,

CB.:D

12. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    PJs are like PCs though. They're out of date almost the moment they're released, so if you keep delaying you'll never end up buying one. In 2 years time when the "next evolution in PJ tech arrives"...there'll already be talk of the next evolution again. But this is all good news for us consumers - when you finally buy though, just don't view any others!!!!

Your idea on the ISA is a good one though:D