1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yikes, i thought video was complicated!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pez, Aug 18, 2004.

1. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Howdy, Im pez, i own a panasonic ae500 1280x720 lcd projector, which is great.

I also own an SVHS Video, Sky Digital (not plus though :( ) and a PS2.

I currently own a pretty old spec pc, and so i am upgrading as soon as NVidia get around to releasing the NForce4 chipset which (hopefully) will have DolbyDigital encoding facilities on it (not that i mind 6 channel analog leads running from a PC to an AV amp, but id rather just have the 1 for games and DVDs). Its going to be used for games and DVDs, all along the digital out.

Now, i figured out all the components i want in the PC, ive figured out everything i need to know about DVI and how to get 1:1 per pixel mapping from windows for the highest quality images from games and DVDs, but im a little clueless as to AV amps and speakers.

Im setting myself a total budget of around 700 quid, with around 400 on the amp (less is always nice :) ) and 300 for the speakers and the cables (or if the balance needs the money more on the side of the speakers, so be it).

What id like is an AV amp that can handle 7.1 speakers, with the ability to receive and decode DTS-ES Discrete signals (as well as everything else preferably!).

It must have Six Channel analog inputs which will also be coming from my PC (im not looking at it like an HTPC, but it will be the workhorse in the house).

It will be getting a digital feed via TOSLINK from my forthcoming PC, it will be getting a digital feed via TOSLINK from my PS2, it will be getting stereo analog RCAs from my video, stereo analog RCAs from Sky Digital (could i get Digital optical out from a Sky Plus box?), and 6-channel analog also from my PC (although this depends on the quality of the DDE that the forthcoming NForce4 chipset provides...as its encoding a signal its going to be of lesser quality than if i just ran the 6channel sound directly into my AV Amp right?)

im looking at satellites and a sub for the speakers, although im confused when it comes to matching speakers and amps, and active and passive subs too.

This is probably starting to sound very very muddled, so ill simplify it here and get mixed up again in a future post.

for 400 quid, whats the best AV amp i can get that will do the above?

phew, sounds like an easy question!

pez

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  3. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cheers!

that yamaha looks great, and ive only heard good things about its sound.

I have been tempted to go a bit higher on budget (as is always the case with home electronics) and look at the new Denon 2805, as What Hi Fi thinks its almost as good as the 3805, and considers the Yamaha slightly less able than the Denon, but cheaper and still very good.

so its a tough one for me.

ive gone mad when it comes to speakers though. i saw some of those Evo 3s, and i want!

would they be wasted with the yamaha or the denon amp? or would i get appreciably better sound out of the 3's than the 1's?

pez