1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet more Philips stuff

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Zacabeb, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I went checking in stores today to find if they had heard anything about when the Philips 32PW9616 would be released in Sweden. They did not know, but I found some interesting stuff.
    • One 36PW9525 and one 36PW9765, both on which the CRT sticker had been obscured with the chassis sticker, confirming the practice - the 36PW9525 had the letter R at the end, not M
    • A 29", 4:3 format set (presumably a 29PT5506) with what appeared to be a non-Philips CRT, probably a Quintrix F
    • A 32PW9576 which had a Philips CRT, but where the entire CRT was shifted to the left by 1/2" - I do not know how that could even happen, but obviously it had
    I also asked a salesman if he knew of the CRT issues in Philips sets and he said Philips CE Sweden had sent out a statement a pair of weeks ago regarding the use of Panasonic CRT's (he spontaneously mentioned Panasonic before I did, so I think he was telling the truth). According to him, Philips stated a shortage as the cause.

This whole thing seems to point towards the possibility various Philips models are affected and that it might actually vary from batch to batch.

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 36" Philips TVs have allways used a Panasonic CRT, the same as with the Panasonic PF10 model. I don't know if they are using a different Panasonic CRT recently as the 36PW9565 was released in 1999.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I knew they've always used Panny CRT's in their 36" sets. Apparently, they thought we wouldn't figure that out so long as they obscured the sticker.

4. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I was in Hispek yesterday and they had the new 32PW9617 on display. This looks like a great TV and was only £1300ish. I was expecting it to be a lot more. Now that this model is out wont the 9616 be discontinued?

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    From what I understood they will not discontinue the 32PW9616. It will probably take the place of the 32PW9525, which I believe will be discontinued (it was already discontinued here in Sweden when I bought the 32PW9616). The MSRP of the 32PW9616 will probably drop.

Did you get a good look at the 32PW9617 and if so, how did the CRT look?

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I'd imagine the 36" variant will cause a bit of interest, this is immanent. But then there's also a 36" Thomson too. Makes you wonder who's crt is going to be used in what?

7. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I was very impressed by the quality of the picture particularly the clarity and geometry. I couldn't see any problems in either area. The only thing I would note though was that the colours looked a little too intense, the TV was showing a DVD, but this may have just needed some adjustment.

I would have been very tempted to buy except I haven't got that sort of money to spend and I also have a 32PW6515 being delivered by John Lewis on Wednesday.

8. deff

deff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zacabeb,

did you keep your 9616 set or not. All pw329616 owners what is like watching sports . I feel my is not as good as my 10yr old 21 inch Sanyo. Also picture quality seems to vary from channel to channel when watching SKY. How is it for the rest of you?. I bought my in Jan 02 and has the Panny tube

Deff

9. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    deff: I will return my 9616 since it has severe uniformity errors. I'm going back to the store today to discuss a solution with them and check alternatives. The problem is the 9617 is not on display anywhere here yet and noone knows when exactly they will get them. After I return the 9616 I will wait about a month to see if the 9617 shows up and if it does not, or it turns out a disappointment, I will get a different brand.

I think the reason you feel the 9616 does not live up to your 21" Sanyo is that your Sanyo was free of SVM. The SVM seems to be calmer on the Panasonic CRT than on the original Philips CRT though. Contrary to what the manufacturers want us to think, SVM does not help sharpen edges of details, it is too slow for that. All it does is move the edges more or less to the right and collapse fine details into contrasty little spikes.

As for the difference between channels, the TV tries to adjust to the incoming signal depending on how it judges the signal quality. This in turn affects how the TV balances the effect of different filters, especially when DNR, Active Control and Color Enhancement are on. By design, the processing in these sets never goes entirely neutral.

It should be said that the 9616 has a combination of two general picture enhancement processors; one digital and one analog. The reasons the analog one, TOPIC is even there at all is to perform LTI (Luminance Transient Improvement) and take care of the light sensor.

The problem is that it also does, through analog processing, some things the digital PICNIC processor already does. CTI (Color Transient Improvement) is done very well by the PICNIC, but turn Color Enhancement on and the TOPIC will do the same thing on top as a side effect. The result is that color transitions get distorted. Color Enhancement was put in there to balance skin tones and white levels and is just a gimmick.

10. deff

deff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Zacabed. Has anyone found the best settings to get the optimum picture quality?

Deff