1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yet more newb questions on the e85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Halloween Jack, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to ask yet more questions but i haven't had much time to experiment.

i'm still working on the best way to rec and archive series. say for instance i decide to record 3 1hr episodes per dvd-r.

1) is it ok to record first on sky+ or should i go straight to the pana hdd?

2) i guess i should use fr. does it work like this: 3 hr episodes with the ads removed and stuff boil down to 3x42''. call it 130min. so do i record these programs with the fr menu set to 130 so that when i come to dub them to disk they will fit, can be done with high speed dubbing and any chapters and thumbs will be taken across?

3) so far i've recorded at sp can i still get 3 of these onto the dvd-r but i have to use real time? and will fr click in automatically. will the quality be the same?

4) i'm slightly tempted to rec at xp then archive using fr so that i get to watch them the first time at better res. is there any diadvantages to this.

5) if i decide to go 2 episodes per disk is it better to use fr set to 90?

6) i've this before but i'm still interested in peoples opinions: should i rec 2,3 or even 4 episodes per disk?

thx all

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I can't answer all your questions, but (regarding questions 5 & 6), you have to appreciate that the encoding process means that the data stream is not at a continuous rate. The more movement on the picture, and the more scene changes, the higher the data rate.

So any digital recorder (whether it's hard disk or DVD based) can only "guestimate" the remaining recording time, based on the data rates that it has seen so far. I've used my Panasonic E50 to do 3 hour recordings on a disk without appreciable loss of quality, but I would not want to go beyond that. However, it does all depend on the source material.

3. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm still working on the best way to rec and archive series. say for instance i decide to record 3 1hr episodes per dvd-r.

1) is it ok to record first on sky+ or should i go straight to the pana hdd?

Record to Pana HDD

2) i guess i should use fr. does it work like this: 3 hr episodes with the ads removed and stuff boil down to 3x42''. call it 130min. so do i record these programs with the fr menu set to 130 so that when i come to dub them to disk they will fit, can be done with high speed dubbing and any chapters and thumbs will be taken across?

Yes, if you record each at FR 130, after you top and tail them the 3 files will be "FR-ed" to for on to one DVD. If the time is a biot tight, there is alwasy soem Mb left over, so dont be concerned if your records are going to be a tick over the DVD limit.

3) so far i've recorded at sp can i still get 3 of these onto the dvd-r but i have to use real time? and will fr click in automatically. will the quality be the same?

SP is 2 hours, your recordings total 2 Hours 6 minutes. You may find that they will just fit, I think I worked out about 3% or 6% was usualy left free. Plus if you can trim a little bit off the front and end. If the 3 SP records dont fit, you will need to record at real time, that will re-encode them to fit

4) i'm slightly tempted to rec at xp then archive using fr so that i get to watch them the first time at better res. is there any diadvantages to this.

I find rthe recroding wuality excellent on the 85, thats a common comment. Record 1 minute on XP, SP, then FR 180 (Thats 1,2,3 hours), then compare them. You may be surprised by how good the SP and 3 hour FR mode is, leaving you happy with a FR, or even 4 onto a DVDR. Pannys drop res from D2 to D1 at about 180 mins, others are 2 hrs 20 to 2 hrs 30, another example of better encloding. If you record, which is encode at XP, when you realtime to fitr the DVD you are encoding again, not a good practice

5) if i decide to go 2 episodes per disk is it better to use fr set to 90?

Yep, that will maximise quality, but as I said above, do the quick and easy test, ideally on the same footage. Compare smoothness of sideways movement, and ensure that you test where the image shows detail you can compare, like closeups of faces, i.e. texture, hairs, wrinkles, then you can look for the drop in quality. They are all good, so if you cant see a diff viewing the tests in XP, then SP, the FR, compare the XP with the FR

6) i've this before but i'm still interested in peoples opinions: should i rec 2,3 or even 4 episodes per disk?

In New Zealand, our PAL, local TV programs are superb quality, very sharp and defined. I am fine with them on SP. Where a program is good quality, the same, 2 hours is fine. When the program is just average, like US programs (NTSC is inferior), or if I have sent 2 90 minute great quality Divx movies to the recorder from the PC, the FR 180 is just fine, so I can use 3 hours per DVD for average quality stuff. Off topic slightly, I use LP mode for my daughters puppetty program, like Winnie the Pooh, and EP 6 hopurs for cartoons

I always wnat the best quality, but there is no point using XP all the time. I test to see a difference between the original and the XP/SP/LP/EP or FR, so I like to use the lowest mode that I cannot see a difference

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It shouldn't make any difference whether or not you record direct or via the sky+ as I understand it records the encrypted signal. This is why you can't see the program later if you downgrade your subscription to one that excludes the chammel you recorded from. Conversly, playing it back later should allow the same recording quality as if you had recorded it initially live, so do whichever is more convenient to you. EG, don't be afraid to play one program for recording live whilst using the second tuner to record another for later recording or viewing.