Yet more AVC-A1XVA questions...

GlynH

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the rush of questions...prospective buyer...keen! :rotfl:

A couple more for you if you don't mind;

Lip Sync - on my A1SRA when you enter the menu to alter the lip sync the screen goes black...stupid idea...how on earth can you match the delay when you can't see the lips move...is this the same on the A1XVA?

With all the up/down/side conversion going on does the XVA by any chance perform D/A conversion for recording a digital input to an analogue recorder?
For example PCM soundtrack from a DVD to an analogue cassette deck?

As I still have my Panasonic 5 Series plasma screen which cannot take a DVI/HDMI signal I will I miss out on any sampling conversion?

The Panny has a native resolution of 852 x 480 so would I be correct in thinking that the best resolution to drive it with would be 480p?

OK...OK...so there were more than a couple of questions...:devil:

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

I've never really had to touch the lip sync. i think the A1 does it all for you

The DVD-A1XVA sorts out Lip Sync for you but the AVC-A1XV(A) is a manually adjusted job. I'm pretty sure the OSD was overlaid on the image when I did mine but I'll doublecheck tonight. Even if it wasn't I still managed to sort it out. I only use the Audio Delay for Sky+ and ended up needing about a 40ms delay. I also use the Denon to scale the image to 1080i via Component and then let my Panny PWD6 scale that back down again to it's native 480p.

You can record Dolby and DTS tracks and the Amp will downsample them to 2ch analog then output it from the Tape and VCR outputs. It will also output the downmixed signal digitally from the OPT 3, 4 & 5 outputs. You can also record using Dolby Headphone as well if you want. It will also let you play one source while recording another if you happen to want to do that.

Ah, so I guess there are 3 AVCA1XV-A amps out in the wild now then !
One in the UK, one in Spain, and one in Australia !
Wow - hope mine gets here by Christmas... !
Could I have a black one please ?
( DENON - this is just a gentle nudge ! Thanks. )

No...make that three!

Picked mine up today...:thumbsup:

Definitely a UK spec model from a Denon Gold dealer factory shipped as an XVA - not upgraded.

Box is actually printed XVA - not a sticker like I have seen on previous models.

Counted the 5 HDMI ports and it had the blue 1080P stickers on the unit itself.

Never checked whether the XVA was silk-screened on the metalwork and I'm afraid it will have to stay in the box for a while as I can't lift it out with my arm in plaster :eek: :(

The remote is definitely the later 'black' 1036 type as detailed in the manual with push buttons on the lower half not the LCD screen as on the silver 970 type!.

And now it's out of date but I'm not complaining - got a cracking deal and hopefully it will be the last amp I will ever need...yeah...right...;)

Anticipation is killing me but not much I can do with a fractured scaphoid so it will probably stay in its box until I get the matching DVD-A1XVA. :devil:

Oh and a new plasma, subwoofer etc. etc. :rotfl:

Anybody want to buy an AVC-A1SRA & DVD-A11? :D

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase said:
Make that two, mines an A1XV. :D

Might pay you to wait a while anyway as Denon are due to release yet another version of the 5805 in the USA. Model is the 5805CI. Few snippets about it here:-

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24920

Excellent. Enjoy!

Checked last night and the OSD is overlaid on the image so you can adjust Audio Delay easily. :)

I will...thanks. :thumbsup:

Now that sounds like a better idea :)

I'm gonna try & digest the manual so you may see some more questions from me...sorry. :devil:

Do you have a Bank Holiday on Monday over there in Spain Jase or is every day a holiday? ;)

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase said:
Excellent. Enjoy!

Checked last night and the OSD is overlaid on the image so you can adjust Audio Delay easily. :)

GlynH said:
Do you have a Bank Holiday on Monday over there in Spain Jase or is every day a holiday? ;)

I wish! No Bank Holiday here. Most days are pretty good though...:D

Lucky you...I recently went to Palma for a TV shoot and although we worked long days I treated it as a holiday :devil:

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase said:
I wish! No Bank Holiday here. Most days are pretty good though...:D

Congratulations on your purchase, by what you wrote you defenitley have the a1xva. The XVA is not silk-screened on the metalwork as they have only just kept the original XV. Anyway you have a superb amp. Is the 5805CI from denon just reading it that woud be more of software or firmware upgrade more than anything. I guess we can basically install it ourselves if we can buy the package.But do you think it's worth it?

Thanks WB,

I have full peace of mind knowing my amp is not dealer a demo as I first thought it might have been after someone posted they are not available in the UK yet - they obviously are as I am not the only XVA owner but they are rare as hens teeth at the moment...

Until I know more about the CI upgrade I can't comment but the way I feel at the moment is this...

One of the reasons I upgraded my AVC-A1SRA was to get the Audyssey auto-calibration feature in the hope that it would make things easier.

The mentioning of 'tweaking stuff to the nth level' leaves me cold - if I wanted to tweak I would have kept the SRA - as I said I wanted the auto-setting of the Audyssey to make things quicker & easier ;)

Having said that I will re-evaluate when the full details are known and weigh up the cost - if any - against the extra functionality that it offers.

Knowing me though I will probably just have to have it...:devil:

I am interested to find out if there is much difference audio-wise between my SRA and the XVA as I am still amazed at how good the SRA sounds.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

The WB said:
Congratulations on your purchase, by what you wrote you defenitley have the a1xva. The XVA is not silk-screened on the metalwork as they have only just kept the original XV. Anyway you have a superb amp. Is the 5805CI from denon just reading it that woud be more of software or firmware upgrade more than anything. I guess we can basically install it ourselves if we can buy the package.But do you think it's worth it?

The DVD-A1XVA sorts out Lip Sync for you but the AVC-A1XV(A) is a manually adjusted job. I'm pretty sure the OSD was overlaid on the image when I did mine but I'll doublecheck tonight. Even if it wasn't I still managed to sort it out. I only use the Audio Delay for Sky+ and ended up needing about a 40ms delay. I also use the Denon to scale the image to 1080i via Component and then let my Panny PWD6 scale that back down again to it's native 480p.

You can record Dolby and DTS tracks and the Amp will downsample them to 2ch analog then output it from the Tape and VCR outputs. It will also output the downmixed signal digitally from the OPT 3, 4 & 5 outputs. You can also record using Dolby Headphone as well if you want. It will also let you play one source while recording another if you happen to want to do that.

:hiya:

It seems that my player doesn't do that, Cause i got a small delay in the picture. Not much but enough for me to pay attention to that issue rather than enjoying the movie:(. I got my player hooked up to the amp with D-Link and connect a HDMI to the display. I've tested around 5 DVD:s so far and all are out of sync. No issues when watching cable though.

//Mats

Hi Mats

My player has no lip-sync problems at all, as I mentioned in another thread. Got mine set to DVI/HDMI, output is RGB - 720p via DVI and 480p via Component and I use Denon Link for all audio. It's possible that the display can introduce a small delay and the player won't be able to account for that automatically. At least you have the option of using either the manual audio delay in the player or in your amp.

Hola :hiya:

Can the delay settings(in the player) be stored in lets say memory1? If so then theres no biggie cause i've got the same delay in every DVD:D

//Mats

Hur mår du Mats? :D

The setting in the player is global rather than being able to be stored in different memories. To be honest, if it's the same delay for every DVD I'd just use the audio delay adjustment in the Amp.

Hur mĂĄr du Mats? :D

The setting in the player is global rather than being able to be stored in different memories. To be honest, if it's the same delay for every DVD I'd just use the audio delay adjustment in the Amp.

Is there a way to do these delay settings "on the fly" so to say?

EDIT: You even speak swedish with no accent :D
//Mats

Is there a way to do these delay settings "on the fly" so to say?

Not with direct button presses you have to go into the setup menu's on both the player and the amp. Amp is probably quicker. Just go into Video Setup - Audio Delay and change it to what you want.

Edit! Actually, you can adjust the player from the front panel if need be. Push the Video Mode button on the front until AUDIO ADJUST appears then turn the knob to adjust it.

Actually, I can't beleive I know something Jase doesn't, but you can adjust the audio delay on the fly.

However, the remote commands needed are not supplied on the original remote, but if you have a Philips Pronto or Harmony remote, Bobs yer Uncle!

If you have a Pronto, let me know and I'll attach my PCF which contains almost every conceivable 'decrete' remote command for the A1XVA that you might need to use at some point.

Edit! Actually, you can adjust the player from the front panel if need be. Push the Video Mode button on the front until AUDIO ADJUST appears then turn the knob to adjust it.

Thats the feature i was looking for :thumbsup:

Actually, I can't beleive I know something Jase doesn't, but you can adjust the audio delay on the fly.

However, the remote commands needed are not supplied on the original remote, but if you have a Philips Pronto or Harmony remote, Bobs yer Uncle!

If you have a Pronto, let me know and I'll attach my PCF which contains almost every conceivable 'decrete' remote command for the A1XVA that you might need to use at some point.

I dont own a universal remote yet but maybe i'll go for the pronto since you already have the codes:smashin:, If i choose the pronto then i'll send you a PM for the PCF.

Everyday i thank my lucky star for finding this forum, You guys are great!!!!!:clap:

Best regards.
Mats

Call me an idiot:suicide: but what is the best way to sort out the lip sync issue?
I'll find it nearly impossible to solve it by hear/sight, I can go either way...+ or - doesnt matter. Still out of sync.:mad: Is there any particular thing to look for when adjusting the delay?

EDIT: I can see/hear that the audio/video is out of sync, But CANT seem to adjust it properly

Ps. maybe its just me thats too finicky(is that a word?) Ds.

//Mats

I'd leave a short clip from a DVD playing on A-B repeat where the actor/s are talking straight at the camera. Then just experiment until it looks right.
The discrete remote codes for adjusting sync on the fly on the AVC-A1XVA really help here.

You might be suprised how much adjustment you need, so don't be shy with it.
However, sometimes the source itself can be out of sync a bit, so I'd check a couple of different discs just be sure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom