1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another which Amp question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Seth Gecko, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Sorry for this guys - but am in a real indecisive mode !

I have a Sony STR-DB1080 Receiver, which I am pretty happy with as it does almost all the soundfields with the exception of PLIIx and isn't THX.

So, I am contemplating upgrading the amp - but not sure to what. I have a Denon 3910 DVD player, so using Denon Link or iLink would be nicer than Phono for DVD-A/SACD.

So far, the obvious choices are Denon 3805, Yamaha RX-V1500/2500, Harman Kardon AVR-630 (which is only £640 from HiWayHifi) and the Pioneer VSX-2014i. I am not however ruling alternatives such as Onkyo etc.

Any thoughts and viewpoints on this or any other amp would be welcome.

Thanks!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HK DPR1005??????
    Acram AVR300???
    just to add to your dimemma... What speakers are you going to use???

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    ARGH I think is the technical word here.

Speakers obviously aren't being upgraded yet - Just done the LCD TV and DVD Player - so they can wait. I currently have Wharfedale Valdus 500's at the front with an Eltax centre. 2 Eltax Bi-Pole speakers at the rear with a rear centre Wharfedale centre speaker. Sorry about not knowing all the model numbers - can't easily tell/access at the moment.

I am happy with the Valdus 500's though - although probably someone(s) will tell me they suck :)

Arcam at £1300 is out of my price range - I'd probably stretch to £800 ish tops - which I can get all the aforementioned options for (or less).

Do appreciate the extra choices though.