Yet another trades query!

Derek S-H

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
But this one is quite technical, so I'd appreciate any opinions or advice please.

Background: I live in a Leasehold flat and the Managing Agents recently organised internal flat door inspections to check whether they were up to current statutory fire regulations. Short answer, they're not!

This is the work that will be required on my own flat door via two suggested tenders (not the main door to the building):

Tender One
1. Remove door from frame
2. Supply and fit 3no fire rated hinges
3. Rout out and fit intumescent seals to door edges
4. Supply and fit overhead door closer
5. Supply and fit intumescent letter box

Quote: £270.

Tender Two
1. S/F pair and half fire hinges
2. S/F overhead door closer
3. S/F intumscent strips
4. S/F intumscent letter box
5. S/F intumescent threshold
6. Make good holes to door closer and spy hole (I don't actually have a spy hole!)

Quote: £340.

My queries are: is there any difference between the work being offered? Are these decent quotes or is it worth sourcing my own on Checkatrade or something? I don't want to skimp on something so important and potentially life saving, but I don't want to overpay either!

Additionally, another inspection took place and established that asbestos was present in three areas within the commonways which will need to be removed. It's currently very low risk and the work is still at the tender stage, but I was wondering if anyone knew if this is likely to be a lengthy and/or expensive process? I'm not expecting a definitive answer with this, but even a general opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks!:)

About £70 in materials and half a days work at most.
The second quote is just fitting a intumescent threshold extra (£15) to supply.
How much tradesmen charge near you I have no idea, so don’t know if it is a good price :D

John.

Thank you for all your replies.

So to summarise:

1. I can just go with the cheaper quote and use their contractor for the door fire proofing?
2. I can expect a large quote regarding the asbestos removal?

Thanks!

Why is the asbestos being removed?

I assume because it is a health hazard long term?

Also, I presume there's some sort of statutory H&S regulation regarding asbestos in buildings of multi-occupation?

I must admit, I've lived here 14 years and never suffered any ill effects, but I'd still rather it weren't there and don't mind paying to have it removed.:)

Thousands of buidings around the country have asbestos in them. It gets left unless it’s going to be disturbed. It’s pointless taking it out just because it’s there.

Thousands of buidings around the country have asbestos in them. It gets left unless it’s going to be disturbed. It’s pointless taking it out just because it’s there.

And there, in a nutshell, is why being a Leaseholder is a bag of s***e! Because even though I "own" my flat, I don't own the fabric of the building nor the commonways.

I can only presume that all works that fall within the remit of the Managing Agents are instructed by the Freeholder. I suppose I could challenge that decision, and the Freeholder is perfectly accessible and an amiable woman, but I'm not sure what it would achieve.

I don't like the Managing Agents at all, but you hear real horror stories about neglect of Leasehold properties, so I would much rather they did work than not, if that makes sense.

Very low risk asbestos would suggest old vinyl floor tiles, bitumous adhesive, stuff like that. They are very low risk as they do not produce the tiny fibres when broken/damaged. The high risk classed types are most commonly insulating boards, (very much like plasterboard), which release fibres into the air when damaged. I believe that tiles are non-notifiable, which speeds things up as the nasty stuff has to be removed by a licensed remover, and HSE have to be notified, and 2 weeks between notification and removal.

Thread bump!

I made contact with one of the contractors - their e-mail address produced a failure notice and they didn't reply to a message I wrote on their own website. Not impressed.

I may be imagining this, but I have a recollection of a website whereby you'd list your job and a price, and various tradespeople would bid to take on the work. But I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Any suggestions please?

Thread bump!

I made contact with one of the contractors - their e-mail address produced a failure notice and they didn't reply to a message I wrote on their own website. Not impressed.

I may be imagining this, but I have a recollection of a website whereby you'd list your job and a price, and various tradespeople would bid to take on the work. But I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Any suggestions please?
Checkatrade: Find a tradesperson you can trust

Ah, I should've said NOT Checkatrade!

Apparently, traders have to pay to use the site and the reviews are less than completely honest.

Another possible site is Rated People, but I'm sure the site I remember is neither of them.

Ask to see a copy of their Public Liability. This should be a standard thing for any tradesman to produce but never is and never will be.

Is it just your flat that needs doing or are there others. If others you might finder it cheaper to get a tradesman to do the combine job and divide the cost. Depends on how well you know and trust your neighbours though.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom