Yet another thick question - TW10h owner help please.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Craig, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have searched and read on this, but I am still a little unclear, so I'm really sorry for the dumbass question

I got the DVE dvd for setup of my DVD / PJ (Pioneer 575a & Epson TW10h) but 2 things are nagging me;

When adjusting settings (contrast, brightness etc) am I supposed to do this on the PJ or on the DVD player?

Secondly, when I occasionally play a R1 disk, the colour settings are all to pot; there's not a great deal to do about this, except re-cal the PJ / D D settings, right?

EDIT: See below, but I hoping other owners of calibrated TW10h coudl share their settings with me

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Do the adjustments on the projector, but if they simply aren't coming together properley then try out the various adjustments on the player to make sure they aren't causing it to send an innaccurate image.

With R1 and R2 you need to be aware as to whether the projector is using exactly the same settings for both (in which case most noticeably grayscales will be out but it's still be a workable picture) or if for the different signals the projector is loading up a completely new memory. If this is the case you will then need an NTSC copy of DVE to do the same again for NTSC signals!

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Usually the display device has far more sophisticated control over the picture, and even memory capability to store different settings, hence the advice is usually to leave the player on default and adjust the PJ.

Something sounds amiss here, there shouldn't be any significant difference between R1 and R2. When you say "goes to pot" do you mean "goes black and white" - if so it sounds like something isn't auto sensing NTSC...PJ

4. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Liam and PJTX100 - thanks for the tips :smashin: I'll re-cal tonight and see where that gets me

It's a lot darker, is the basic juust (gone to pot may have been over-egging it) so I end up pissing around with brightness to try and get something half decent.

I'm currently watching R1 West Wing and this is what is causing the prob - I have a few other R1 disks, so I will check them tonight, but from memory my R1 Top Gun was OK.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    OK, if the TW10 has a couple of settings memories then perhaps you can just have an R1 setup and an R2 setup and flick between them?

6. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sounds like a plan.

I'm bunking off work early and getting the blinds closed

7. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Personal taste seems to be rather personal, eh?

I've tried the DVE disk and cannot say I actually prefer the result.

The thing is that i have now gone in so many circles that I am getting a bit dizzy, and i cannot really remember how good the picture was before i started buggering about with all the buttons so much

Are there are any owners of well calibrated (to their own tastes, of course) who would care to share their Epson setup settings with me? I would really like to use them as a reference against what I've got to at this stage.

NB: If it is not already painfully obvious, I am the type of owner who gets upgradeitis from this kind of thing, which even I can see is dumb, as I was happy with the picture beforehand. Someone please save me from spending all my Xmas present money (for other people's presents, obviously) on a new PJ

8. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    nobody?

9. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    You don't say if you are watching via component or RGB, which may make a difference.
    Also, West Wing is a NTSC tv series, that if it is an earlier season, may well suffer picture quality wise (been watching S1 of West Wing myself & it isn't 16:9, & suffers from vertical banding on my 10h, when compared with a favourable movie DVD.
    I was going to attempt to calibrate my 10h, but discovered u actually can't do a hell of a lot to it. I will be firing mine up later, & can provide u with my settings - from memory Sharpness is the lowest it can be, brightness is -2 , & contrast is 0.
    I don't see much difference between NTSC & PAL sources through component on my Panasonic E55, & i must say i watch more R1.

I also watch everything in Theatre Black mode

Delh68

10. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here's mine.

Theater Black Color Mode
    Brightness -2
    Contrast 1

The rest are the same as default I think, but I will check tonite when I go home.

I experimented with a lot and there's not much in it.

11. Ewan154

Ewan154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I use Theater Black Color Mode all the time as well.

12. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HI all

Thanks for the repsonse.

My basic settings at the mo'

Signal is component - progressive scan on
    Basic setting on the Epson is Theatre Black

Yeah, the West Wing is the trickiest of the lot and other DVD's are not anywhere near as much a problem. Shame.....

13. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I use component progressive scan from my JVC dvd/hdd recorder into my epson and I can't say I've noticed any difference in picture quality between ntsc and pal. :)

14. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Correction.

Progressive through VGA port
    Theater Black Color Mode
    Brightness 2
    Contrast 1