Yet another speaker cable question

nonumb

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Right sorry for yet another speaker cable question but...

I have a b&w set of speakers (602 601 lcr60) and an arcam avr300 amp. I'm looking to buy some speaker cable to wire it all up with.

I need 2 x 3m for the front
about 2m for the centre
2 x up to 10m for the rears.

Ideally I want the rear speaker cable to be flat so it can be run under carpets and to cut costs of having to buy more so it can go around the edges of the room.
The front speaker cable needs to be biwire as I may biamp the speakers using the 6/7 channels on the amp. I'm guessing the centre speakerwire should be same brand as the fronts to ensure complete tone match? I have some biwire cable already which I'm using for the fronts (although not biamping atm) but I have no idea of the brand but if the brand thing is rubbish I'll keep this.

Is it advisable for the rears to also be the same brand?

Also I'm interested in banana plugs but I definately cant afford decent ones ontop of speaker cable so was looking at the cheap 20 packs on ebay, are these up to the job?

Looking to spend as little as possible without compromising too much on quality. I believe speaker wire has an effect on sound but the cost effictiveness of expensive speaker cable drops off rapidly after a couple of quid a metre. Although my system isnt bad its not very high end either so dont really want to spend much more than £2 per metre (although the biwire may be a bit more expensive).

I've been looking at the van damme range biwire for £2.39 per m 4 x 2.5mm (avonline) then getting 2 x 2.5 for the centre and then some ixos flatline speaker cable for the rear. Is this an ok solution?

Snip............

Ideally I want the rear speaker cable to be flat so it can be run under carpets.......

The front speaker cable needs to be biwire as I may biamp the speakers .....

I've been looking at the van damme range biwire for £2.39 per m 4 x 2.5mm (avonline) then getting 2 x 2.5 for the centre and then some ixos flatline speaker cable for the rear. Is this an ok solution?

In a nutshell - yes. For flat cable also look at profigold bassflex 2x2.5mm - might be cheaper. Rather than cheap bananas, just use bare cable.

Sorry for the late reply but thanks very much will buy that cable soon then :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom