1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another Sony NW-HD5 review... [anythingbutipod.com]

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by recsnmisc, Jun 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. LAGARTO82

LAGARTO82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The review has several things i'd like to clarify :

- Gapless play is not possible with NW-HD5 ?
    - Is not possible to upload tracks from the player to the PC ?
    - If I change PC, do I have to erase all tracks from player to load new ones ?

Thanks

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    As far as I know ATRAC is one of the few formats which allows gapless playback.

I had heard this rumour too but apparently it is not true providing you have backed up you library using the SonicStage backup tool.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1686612#post1686612

4. DrillSgt

DrillSgt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using 2 different PC's to add/remove tracks from my HD5, no problem.

5. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i think that you can transfer songs to the player from multiple computers but you can only transfer songs from the player onto the source computer

(stand to be correct on this tho)

6. sohc

sohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    about the gapless playback- it may not be gapless for mp3s but it SURE IS CLOSE! ill try to get an audio clip up later where you can hear the microscopic "tick" of a gap between songs. the songs are physically next to eachother on the HDD. maybe it wouldnt be so if i was playing from a playlist??

7. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But even that 'microscopic tick' is noticable and when a set has been immaculately mixed and the transition between tracks is actually meant to be seamless, the tick becomes annoying. Very annoying. Just encode in Atrac and it will be perfectly gapless. I don't understand why Sony keeps on releasing new players that can't handle mp3's gaplessly.

When my vaio pocket first came out it left the most annoying 3 second gap between tracks - after a few complaints they changed the firmware and it now plays mp3's perfectly gapless.

Am I wrong assuming that the problem is with the firmware and not with the hardware? This certainly was the case with the vaio pocket...