Yet another Sky+ question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by CARLOS, Nov 5, 2002.

1. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,232
    Is it possible to take the current Sky + offer then use the second (original) Sky box and subscription in another house ?

Just hypothetically of course ;)

Cheers Carlos

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you mean the offer of the combined SKY+ and "mirror" subscription for £15 a month then no because both boxes need to be connected to the same phone line.

3. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,232

Ah !!

So part of the contract is the original box and subscription even if over 12 months old still has to be connected to the phone line ?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes.
    To prevent a mirror subscription from being used in a different address or being sold onto third parties SKY will instruct one digibox to phone home and then do the same for the second digibox. The actual sequence of the commands is unknown but basically if both boxes don't call SKY from the same phone line for any reason the subscriber is in breach of the contract.
    Warning letters have already been sent out to quite a few subscribers, unlike the phone line required for a subsidised standard install the "mirror" subscription is checked frequently as piracy/fraud in this case will cost SKY revenue.

5. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,232
    Ok mate thanks for the info :)

6. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My original PACE digibox started to go wrong. This was located in the lounge.
    I purchased a SKY + system on 20.11.01-just packed up last
    Thursday-rang Sky-took me through the rigmarole-no satellite signal being received. Engineer calling on Wednesday of this week.

This SKY + is connected to TV Link and I have two other sets connected by remote eyes so I can get all the SKY programmes
    on the main set and two other sets-one in the kitchen and one in the shed. Control with remote eyes is all round. The only problem is the lack of nicam sound.

The old box came back to life-it is now installed in the kitchen and although connected to the Dish I can get all the free to air programmes with all the good quality sound-I can watch one Sky programme in the kitchen whilst the boss can watch a different Sky programme in the lounge.
    The benefits are I dont pay the £12 a month premium for the pleasure of watching two "pay" channels at the same time.

Both have their own BTlink(same line) but I doubt if the second set needs to be linked into phone.

As I am now awaiting the SKY + box to be sorted at least I can get free to air channels in the kitchen.

I am not impressed with SKY + box packing in after 11months-I presume the LNB is okay because it services both systems.

NJ

7. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sky + was installed 11 months ago and broke down last week.
    Engineer called yesterday-problem no satellite signal being received.
    He examined the three co-axial wires going into the LNB-all protected by insulation tape.
    Not quite protected because when he took the first wire off and shook it the amount of water that came out of the plug was like a mini shower. He said the other two looked ok.
    I insisted he repaired all three. They to were full of water.
    A look at the LNB connections showed they were all corroded.
    He cut off the bad wiring and put a new LNB in place and to my amazement used the water tight grommets to seal the wire entry.
    I asked if they should have been fitted to the original one.
    "YES".
    The moral of this tale is if had happened next week it would have cost me £60+ for the visit and whatever the LNB cost,
    all because the lazy first fitter couldn';nt be bothered to do a proper job.

I SUGGEST YOU ALL GO AND EXAMINE YOUR LNB_YOU MIGHT SAVE A FORTUNE.
    NJ