yet ANOTHER screen burn post :(

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ddaddy, Dec 31, 2002.

1. ddaddy

ddaddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No one seems to be able to give a definate answer to the amount of time an image has to be left on screen for the burn affect to kick in. So, what about how long an image has to be left OFF the screen to prevent screen burn?

If i was watching a footy match with pre match build up and post match talk, thus having sports logo on screen for about 3+hours, will the advert breaks with no logo's be enough to prevent screen burn?

cheers

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive had a good 6 hours of sky sports watching the boxing with about a logo in every corner was worried at the time but like with what you said ad breaks and other things it was fine. cant remember if the sky sports logo goes in adverts? i think it does

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put it this way,
    went out on the drink the other night got back about 2:00am put my panny 4series on and started watching the premiership i'd recorded on my sky+ fell asleep....the programme ended after an hour leaving a big logo/message froze on screen.
    I regained conciouseness around 2:00pm...so a good 12hrs later with this image frozen on screen.
    I switched the sky+ off and there was a light outline from all the logo's on the screen!!
    I set up the screen saver and left it on (the white scroller) for about 5/10 minutes and the screen returned to its perfect status??
    are these prone to screen burn or what?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,096
    There is no definative answer I am afraid. It depends on the product, the image and the contrast settings. I played a new game on my Xbox and MXE433 for around an hr (and I have contrast way way down) and could easily see the residual image on the screen. So I put on a full screen channel, turned up contrast to normal watching level (which is still miles lower than usual factory settings) and after an hr or so it had gone completely......my plasma has around 80hrs on it just now.

Gordon

5. JaseyJay

JaseyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my panny 4 series for about 9 months now, never used the screensaver, play GameCube Timesplitters for hours on end, watched the whole of the world cup, FA cup, Olympics and Robot Wars and not had a problem.

Don't worry about it!

As for SKY's Red Dot just press backup and it goes.

JJ;)

6. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I spoke to a Panasonic sales guy recently and he reckoned that to do permanent damage the image would have to be present for days!!

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I mentioned a few months ago that screenburn while being a hazard is much over hyped. Don't get me wrong it does exist, and i believe it effects new screens more than "run in" screens etc.(also setting sensible contrast levels must help!)

As long as people don't watch the same channel/game 24-7, then with normal "varied" viewing should insure no screenburn.

Saying that, me and the missus are paranoid about pressing "back-up" to get rid of Skys "Red Dot"!!!.:D

8. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi fulabeer,

how many hours to run in a new plasma typially?

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I base my theories about "run in" screens suffering less screenburn, from reading plenty of "Arghhhh screenburn!" posts. Which seems to come from owners of "brand new" screens more than people who have had their plasmas for a while etc.

I noticed a slight drop in peak white level after about 100 hours, so assume for Panasonic screens a least, this was the running in period. At the same time the slight background "black/grey glow" also dropped to a deeper black level.

The deeper blacks were very welcome indeed(a totally dark room is needed to see the slight glow), and the slightly lower whites can be put back with a higher contrast setting. But they were to bright in the first place, so i have left everything set as they were.

It could be that too many plasmas ship with the factory settings far too high(contrast/saturation etc).
    And this is the reason that more newbie screens burn!

Either way, i'm careful with the way in which i use my plasma but i'm comfortable that i should get many years of burn free use.

Ps
    If anybody reads any future posts that i have suffered from screenburn, would they please make sure all my post screenburn not being a problem are rammed down my throat until i'm sick!:devil: :D :D

10. ddaddy

ddaddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you everyone for the replies, my mind is now at rest. I look forward to purchasing my plasma, and although I'll be panicking about the 'red dot', i dont think i will worry too much about leaving the family at home to play with the new toy ;)

cheers