1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another recordable DVD question....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the_sanguine, Dec 6, 2004.

1. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I work away from home a lot and would like to be able to record films off Sky to watch on my PC while away. I'm not looking for anything flash. I am thinking about getting Sky+ so I guess I won't be needing hard drive storage, just something cheap and cheerful.

What's the best option?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    I'm very happy with the Panasonic E55, it's now available for below £200.

3. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does it record re-recordable discs that will play on a PC?

How long will it be until I can just plug a storage device into the back of my sky digibox and record onto that, then plug it into my PC and watch it....it would save all the messing about with discs!

4. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got the Pioneer dvr-220 and am delighted with it - available multi-region for under £200, Richer Sounds have it quite cheap I think.

The Pioneer 220 can record on -RW re-writeable discs which may be compatible with your laptop (although disc compatibility is still a bit of lottery depending on brand of media used etc).

The Panasonic E55 system uses RAM re-writable discs which are probably not compatible with your laptop. That said the cost of -R discs write-once media is so low now that a lot of Panny owners use these discs for watching on other players.

5. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not up to speed on the different disc types. I just want to be able to record disks, play them on my laptop and then re-record them. Is -RW the way to go?

6. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Depends on the laptop drive.. I have an old philips one that won't read -RW...

7. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The PC is a Toshiba Tecra M2 is that helps. Is there anybody near Maidstone that has discs in these formats that we could try?

Would there be any benefit in buying a little DVD player or would they be no better than a PC?

8. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is +RW more compatible?

9. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With DVD-R or +R so cheap you may choose to forget rewritables. I was obsessed with the option when deciding what machine to buy, but in 6 months have only used them as an experiment!

10. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I too work away a lot and have a Panny E30 and IBM notebook with multi format DVD drive which will read DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-ROM.

It has certainly made my business trips a whole lot better when stuck in German/French hotels with only CNN to watch I now have films etc on the move. Even flight delays are an excuse to watch another movie or program while I wait!

The only problem with going the DVD-R route is that if you use the cheaper disks you may find they do not finalise or end up not playing when you are on your trip which can be frsutrating if its a prog or film you have been waiting for. I would go for DVD-RW or -RAM as these disks will be reliable to write on and will always play on the DVD drive you select IMO.

11. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    And they will play on a Toshiba Tecra?

I guess I need to find somebody local that has various format discs I can try.

What recorder machines should I consider? Doesn't the pioneer support -RW?

12. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pioneer support -RW, Panasonic -RAM, Sony +/-RW
    I get the impression that PC readability (and other portability) is a bit hit and miss with re-writables of any type, and can even vary from brand to brand of DVD.
    Not very encouraging unfortunately. I'd go with the -R approach but maybe get a recorder that is -RW and have a go.
    If you would watch the movies mainly on a laptop, you might be able to use LP mode and get two movies on a disc, and halve the cost of discs of any variety.

13. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Pioneer then?

14. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'll get flamed to death for this but consider a Philips +R/RW machine. I've had two Philips DVDR75's for well over two years and they're still going strong. I've yet to come across a player that won't read the Philips +RW disks and you don't have to finalise them. Perfect for recording Sky onto, taking upstairs and watching in the bedroom, then re-recording on it again. My Pioneer 420 on the other hand is a brilliant machine but the -RW is a real pain. Has it happens anything I know is going to be played anywhere else in the house or given to friends will be recorded on the Philips +RW and anything I'm watching by my TV will be recorded on the HD of the Pioneer 420. The 420 is brilliant for editing and transferring to -R though and has become indespensible already. I've also noticed the 6hr record on a Philips is far superior to the 6hr record on a Pioneer. If you do consider a +RW machine then think about an extended warranty and you've got no problems.

15. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I do like the idea of the Philips machines...it's just that reliability thing that everybody talks about. What are there models? Is there one at just under £200?

16. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

The current model is the Philips DVDR610 and drops in at under £200. I confess that when the DVDR880 was released about 3 years ago I did have problems and it went back twice and they swopped it for a DVDR70 about 13 months after I had it. I had the DVDR70 for about 22 months and it developed some bugs but I downloaded the latest firmware off the Philips site and upgraded the machine. Its now working flawlessly. It may be worth getting an extended guarantee if you're that worried. Before the Philips DVDR880 I had two Panasonic E50's and they both went back so I've been put off Panasonic DVD recorders for life. A lot of the cheaper makes like Lite On and LG are also +RW and based upon the Philips machines.

17. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm kinda drifting towards a cheap +R/+RW (Like the one in Asda for example) until an upgrade is due

18. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7