1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet Another 'recommend an LCD" thread (<30")

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by GSV_3MiaC, Feb 17, 2005.

1. GSV_3MiaC

GSV_3MiaC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for an LCD - SWMBO says 'smaller than 30"'. Sadly it looks like most of the better models (in terms of 3 SCARTS, DVI, pixelplus (equivalents), etc.) only start at 30" or even 32" .. most of the 26-27-28" models look somewhat 'stripped down'. Separate media box would be a plus (incase I want to wall mount).

So what would folks here suggest? I went to look at some in Curry's in Hereford, but they have such a lousy aerial feed that they all looked like complete rubbish (how do those folks expect to sell a £3k TV when it's displaying a picture worse than a 1950s B&W set?!).

Cost not a big issue compared to quality, where 'quality' = 'functionality', not 'glitz' (B&O type design style doesn't do it for me!). I've read most of the recent threads, and multiple magazines (nothing gets less than 3 stars?!?) and still need some more thoughts...

:lease:

2. GSV_3MiaC

GSV_3MiaC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What, nobody got any opinions at all (what an unusual forum. :) ). Would it open up the field any if I said "less than or equal to 30" "?? I still can't find anything with 'all the whistles on' down in that size range (maybe it doesn't exist?).

3. ndavies4

ndavies4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been looking at a new 26" model from a company called Humax (model LGB-26DTT). In terms of features/connectivity I haven't seen anything that can match it. Saw it in the 'flesh' last week and PQ looked pretty good. Cannot say if better/worse than the equivalent Tosh or Sharp as all viewings of LCDs (and plasmas) leave me feeling under-whelmed!

(see http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/dtv_lcd26_lgb-26dtt.asp for full spec)

4. motr

motr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What price have you seen the Humax for? I have seen it ranging from £938 incl vat to £1163 incl vat.

Expensive? Especially as you only get the 1 year standard guarentee.

5. ndavies4

ndavies4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    'sales@dd-distributors.co.uk' quoted £799+VAT so £938'ish.

6. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Having just bought a ViewSonic N3000W (30", 29.5" viewable), I'd thoroughly recommend it. Excellent picture quality, twin (analogue) tuners with all the picture-in-picture cleverness you could want, 2 SCARTS (both selectable for composite/S-VHS/RGB), 2 sets of component connections (one progressive), DVI, VGA etc. Oh, and no noisy fans - it's completely silent.

£1150 from dabs.com - wall mounting bracket is another £100.

7. djsat2

djsat2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i have the N3000W and its great, has all the connections id need and then some and viewing NTL digital cable on it looks great despite NTL's horrible compression. Overall the screen is great qulality and as stated is silent aswell. Cant belive u got it for 1150 though, i paid 1350!! ;)

8. GSV_3MiaC

GSV_3MiaC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SWMBO decided even 30" was 'too overpowering' for the living room. Not sure I agree, but anything for a quiet life .. so I went with the Sharp LC26AG3E (looks nicer than the 4E IMO, with the speakers under the screen instead of beside it). The PQ in the one shop which actually had one was excellent, compared to Philips 26" (uniformly lousy in all shops), and Sony (pretty good, but the models without WEGA engine were less than superb, and they all lack DVI).

Per Sharp (excellent email response btw .. impressive. Plus they have all the manuals on-line) the new 5E is the 'entry level model' (read 'dumbed down') .. shame that the 3e/4e are variously described as 'sold out' or 'discontinued', and there doesn't seem to be a 26-GD1 model around. At least you can get a good price on a 3e/4e if you can find one.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)