1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another rear placement question...with a difference

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by greyjackal, Jul 15, 2003.

1. greyjackal

greyjackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've carried out the ubiquitous search and, although there are a lot of threads about rear placement, my query is a tad more esoteric :)

Seeing as I live in a flat with 0 storage space, I want to construct what essentially amounts to a false wall, all the way down one side of the main room, with shelves, cupboards etc in it. As well as storage space, this will hold my equipment as well, with my spanking new Panny AE100 in a cupboard at the top above the sofa - the opposite wall will be the only "clear" wall and so will be my starter screen, as the top wall is all windows, and the bottom on is a long way away and is half blocked by the stairs. So essentially I'd end up with :

[​IMG]

(Obviously I wouldn't put any cupboards behind the sofa back :D)

Now, this would obviously necessitate rear mounting of the rear speakers - I was thinking of a recessed shelf or similar in the whole ensemble, or fixing to the "outside" - this would put them directly above the back of the sofa in terms of distance behind, although I can move them away to the sides a little. They are Mission NXTs by the way.

Then it occurred to me. Could I not create a "sofa wide" alcove in the construction so the end result is this :

[​IMG]

This would give me more room in the room itself but would then mean I'd have to mount the rears directly to the side (albeit reasonably high up compared to head height) of the sofa. Obviously I'd have to drop the rear levels a fair whack but would this "cutting off" from the rest of the room adversely affect things?

Unfortunately, as you can probably appreciate, this isn't something I can really experiment with :) Once I start construction of the frame, there isn't any easy going back.

Cheers in advance.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The Dolby Digital recommendation for surround speaker placement is to be at the side slightly forward of seating position and a couple of feet higher than head hight. You then just set up speaker volumes with an SPL meter (you should do this anyway!).
    No living room & HC combined is ever going to be perfection, but yours should not be too much of a problem.

Good luck,
    Mark.

3. greyjackal

greyjackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I appreciate that, just wondered how the acoustics will be affected by having the rears in that recessed area.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I don't see that this would be too much as a problem as a system is normally only setup to give the best sound in a small area. Most AV amps can set delay & volume for each speaker to compensate for the different distances from the listener. The fabric of the sofa should absorb a lot of the sound, so you should not get too much sound bouncing around. If you still do then put some curtains etc on the walls of the alcove to stop it.

Mark.

5. greyjackal

greyjackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, cheers :) Just give the AE100 its debut with the Fifth Element (albeit on a bedsheet nailed to the ceiling - decoration underway on the eventual "screen" wall) and frankly, I can't believe why I didn't get a projector sooner :D