1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another question about sound

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jon stallard, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a MSI 915P motherboard with on board sound. Azalia link controller integrated in intel ICH6/ICH6R chipset, 8-channel audio codec CMedia CMI9880L.

That lot means very little to me. It has a SPDIF output for Optical and co-axial which i feed to my AV amp..... but......

My question is this: In order to do away with my AV amp/processor/huge silver lump under the TV, is it possible to do all the decoding inside the PC (is it already doing the decoding in fact, or capable of doing it?) and output directly to a 5:1 speaker system via the jack outs (of which there is provision for 6 channels)?

This is primarily because with the imminent migration of the HTPC from the floor to directly under the TV, I'll end up with two huge silver lumps of kit and I just want one.

I would happily purchase an additional sound card to do the processing and the speaker system I currently have has a set of amps in the subwoofer to supply satellite speakers.

It seems logical and would stop my girlfriend from passing comments about 'clutter' 'too many boxes' and 'just how many clickers do you need?'. Well being a bloke, the 6 'clickers' I currently have is the price you pay eh lads? :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    Jon.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, if you have the necessary power-amp then sure, a PC can decode Dolby and DTS, your existing on-board sound would probably do DD but probably not DTS.

However, the quality is likely to be a bit 'average' so you might want to think about a better quality sound card, the M-Audio cards are quite popular at the lower-end of the price range.

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    By all accounts you can do it, a few people over at Avsforum.com have managed it, however it sounds like a hell of a lot of hassle to remove a box ( and remember you still need the power amps ). An alternative might be to move your boxes so that they're not under the telly and are somewhere less prominent? Also the PC could be RF controlled so you don't actually need to see it.

Good luck

Simon

4. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, in between my first post and this I've lingered in a newsagent, bought What Hi Fi and decided what's the point. At best mediocre sound or use a decent amp. No contest. Two huge silver boxes under the TV it is.