1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another PW7 SCART , Component, VGA thread...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Davidgilmour, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

Would it be a good idea to make a Panny PW6-PW7 board thread or FAQ ?
    I have been reading through the forums for a couple of days because I also have to make the jump.

Got the PW7 + tuner media box. Got the DVD connected through SCART on the mediabox and the PQ sucked.
    Bought a new 70 quid Pioneer progressive scan DVD player , some cheap 13 quid component cable, put it into the component mediabox and the PQ was awesome !
    Have ordered a Component Board for 50 quid through ebay and will connect the dvd through the component board directly to check if there are any differences.
    When I get really really really close there is some noise on the blacks, I do not recall that seeing on the Fujitsu VHA 30 with PS DVD connected to it. So maybe that will go away too when connected directly.

Anyway, I read that most people don´t like the tuner but some do. Most people don´t like the SCART board but some do. Everybody likes the JS RGB-VGA connector but this does not have the autosize thing and no sound where SCART does have sound.

The questions are
    1. What is the REAL problem with the SCART connector? It´s softness ? What does that really mean ?
    2. Has anyone seen component PS through the tuner and through the component board ? Are there any major differences ?
    3. Has anyone seen SCART through the tuner and direct through the SCARTboard ? Are there any major differences ?
    4. Is the JS the only good company that makes RGB-VGA boxes, are there any cheaper solutions ?
    5. Are there any people in here that just have the tuner and are 100% satisfied with it ?
    6. Who is willing to make the Panasonic Connections FAQ ? :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    David

2. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    hey
    I have the tuner , id say im 80% satisfied with it , the face that it loses some features , pip & picture rezising was the last straw , must admit the xbox was top quality through the component slot and dvds look great via rgb.

But the fact I cant resize games has made me decide to sell it , alot of them have an inch border along the sides , its just annoying beyond belief !

Im going to get a scart board & component board , xbox , ps2 , game & dvd player will all go component through a box while everything else will just go into the scart box , not too bothered about it but would be handy to have one for some other stuff to connect just incase.

Ive seen an gold vga to rgb cable for 59 quid , think thats as cheap as you'll get something like that !

3. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you have an url for such a cable ?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the QED Q-Sync and keene cables are just cheaper versions of the JS RGB>VGA which is a box opposed to the all in one cable from others but all do the same thing..........some just do it better,

VGA does have audio in just uses a seperate cable to the video only VGA cable....

5. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have the mediabox and i agree david the picture through component is very good.i have noticed the noise you mention on the blacks but only close up to the screen.my picture quality through the scart rgb on sky and playstation 2 is also very good.but at some stage i will sell the media box and go the other route js etc. one thing that does concern me is the lack of features mainly the screensaver and the wobble,which if i understand it correctly-its unnoticeable to the eye but moves the picture to aviod screenburn.also without this function can anyone recommend the maximum time to have a paused image on screen ie. my sky plusand logos,this does concern me,as im sure it would other media box owners.

6. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Panasonicman :hiya: !
    Yeah, the thing that I hate is that the tuner takes it all over and one doesn't have full control. My component board arrived today, put it in slot 2, had to uninstall the tuner cable ( :mad: ) because otherwise the component board won't work. PQ is top top top notch though ! But I must check the component through the media box again tomorrow to see if there really are any differences :D . Now that I have the component board will this thing be usable for me -->
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV372. html?id=52WvFYsb ?
    Shouldn't that give good quality on a VCR or digital tuner ?

7. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    david the cable looks fine but no sound will pass through it if you are useing speakers on the screen.do you find your media box runs quite hot i know it says on the top that it does but i cant put anything on top of it.i will be putting some pictures on the forum soon of my setup.

8. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have put my dvd player on top of it and did not smell any strange thing so I guess it would be ok, all is operating fine. Would love to see your setup in the plasma lads thread.