Yet another PS3 retail record breaker!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz101

Ex Member
Reaction score
Despite claims of a poor launch turn out in Australia...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24029

...the true record breaking picture has emerged...

"According to data trackers GfK, the launch of PS3 on March 23 resulted in a significant boost in videogame sales for the Australian market. "Our data revealed that in a matter of just ten days the PlayStation 3 created a spike in retail spending not previously witnessed at the launch of any other console in Australia," commented GfK's Daniel Morse.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24029

More good news for Sony - and hopefully this will encourage them to launch with plenty of stock in future rather than the usual 'soft' launches of lesser rivals - and ignoring the idiots trying to spin the not 'selling out' as a bad thing. :thumbsup:

............and now it's being discounted at WH Smith - others to follow.......

....good news for the consumer.... :clap:

Aye great news if the product you have just bought on release is getting price drops straight away.:rolleyes:

I think things are going as I predicted - not well. Wrong time of year, wrong product, wrong price and not enough games support despite being around for ages before release. There is also a good chance like in the US Sonys UK PS3 sales have been massaged to mix up Sales and Units supplied to make the sales look better.

Are play not doing them for £400 with a free BD disc? thats effectively £385 which is £40 off already. I may have a PS3 sooner than I planned:thumbsup:

I think if the Nintendo can get the units out the Wii is going to be the medium term sales winner with the 360 behind and the PS3 taking up the rear:eek:

The price drop is purely because there are too many units in the retail chain than the market can take - so retailers need to free up the space and liquidate the stock. This isnt because the console is selling poorly compared to other launches - its breaking records around the world. After all these are retailer price cuts that have no effect on Sony.

Where as MS had an impotent 'soft' launch with minimal product available - Sony has gone to the opposite extreme of being able to provide too much stock. I think once we get to the period where 360's were freely available in the shops and proper sales comparsion can be made - until then the PS3 sales are unprecedented and therefore cant be easily constextualised other than the facts of the various records broken.

Not sure what your problem is - unless youre worried about WHSmith's profits?? :rotfl:

Ho and indeed Ho........

I have no problem per se., but am just weary of desperate attempts to prosletyse the positive spin that some people seem desperate to propogate.

Dear God, it's a games machine. It might do better/worse than it's creators expect. It might be wonderful/terrible/ok.

It might do and be all those things without the sweaty desperation of some people determined to proffer some 'good news' from the colonies....and to what end? - I query the mental health of some people investing so emotional a response in relation to a piece of consumer tech. To be fair, I would also query their mental capacity.

Look it's a games machine. That's it. Enjoy it, play on it, use it to the best of it's capacity.

But in the name of God, do we need to know that it has broken some 'record' in Australia? Does knowing this add to the sum total of the human experience?

Or is it just another lonely, plaintive, weeping fanboy................

Ho and indeed Ho........

boring etc boring snip whatever zzz zzzzz

What a completely unecessary and inflammatory post. These forums are full of sales figures and related information for the various formats that AV enthusiasts are interested in as they should be. Why dont you take that chip from shoulder and go and join the miserablesods.com message board. :rolleyes:

Some people!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

How much does a retailer make on a retail unit anyway? Anyone know?

I have no problem with a £25 price drop. If I'd waited two weeks I'd have saved some money.

I paid £460 for my Japanese 20GB import & sold it January for £420 so lost money there too. Some paid over £700 for PS3 at Jap/US launches. But I was able to play it over Christmas.

Might have been annoyed if it was over £50 drop now though ;) but expect it down to £350 for Christmas.

From the rumours I don't think a retailer will be making much, if any profit on a PS3 at £399

This is just a classic case of buyers over-estimating the demand for a product (they probably had the launch of the Wii fresh in their minds and forgot it wasn't christmas) and the retailers then trying to offload surplus stock as quickly as they can because it costs them money for it to be sitting on shelves.

Personally I think all this endless speculation on how well/badly the PS3 is doing is pointless, at least until after this coming christmas when we will have a much better idea of how well each console is performing.

This is just a classic case of buyers over-estimating the demand for a product (they probably had the launch of the Wii fresh in their minds and forgot it wasn't christmas)

The problem was they had nothing to compare it to as virtually every console launch in the past has had limited stock.

There was no way sony would win with the PS3 launch... If it had sold out its allocation then everyone would be up in arms about them not having that many units when it's been out in the US and Japan for so long, but as it is, people are making a big deal because there's still units left... It's a lose-lose situation...

Are play not doing them for £400 with a free BD disc? thats effectively £385 which is £40 off already. I may have a PS3 sooner than I planned:thumbsup:

also an HDMI lead...

If it was any cop as a media player I'd be very tempted, shame.

kingsize is spot on with his POV! :smashin:

I've got to say zz101 you are coming across as a proper Sony fanboy, Taking every opportunity to dig at the 360 and its launch, Why?

Who cares about stats from Australia? Just enjoy your PS3 without starting threads like this one! I dont understand the mentality behind it unless you need to make posts like this to make you feel better about buying an over pirced console that currently lacks any fantastic games? (IMO, bar motorstorm!)

FACT - The PS3 should have been released along side the 360
FACT- The PS3 got delayed for over a year (what have developers been doing during this time?)
FACT- Sony shafted the Europeans once again with its delays and over pricing. Hence the excess stock that hasn't been purchased yet. Just think how many PS2 users there are who haven't purchased a PS3, Why?

Taking this into consideration, why are people such as yourself defending it and starting threads that put a positive spin on the machine?

Lets not lose sight of whats important..... GAMES!!!!! Enjoy those and please stop threads such as this one!

My consoles better than your console! Grow up! :suicide:

N.B - no I'm not an MS fanboy, just someone who wants to play great games!

FACT- Sony shafted the Europeans once again with its delays and over pricing. Hence the excess stock that hasn't been purchased yet. Just think how many PS2 users there are who haven't purchased a PS3, Why?

Yet the Europeans ate it all up to equate to record breaking sales in the end anyway.

kingsize is spot on with his POV! :smashin:

I've got to say zz101 you are coming across as a proper Sony fanboy, Taking every opportunity to dig at the 360 and its launch, Why?

Who cares about stats from Australia? Just enjoy your PS3 without starting threads like this one! I dont understand the mentality behind it unless you need to make posts like this to make you feel better about buying an over pirced console that currently lacks any fantastic games? (IMO, bar motorstorm!)

FACT - The PS3 should have been released along side the 360
FACT- The PS3 got delayed for over a year (what have developers been doing during this time?)

Taking this into consideration, why are people such as yourself defending it and starting threads that put a positive spin on the machine?

Lets not lose sight of whats important..... GAMES!!!!! Enjoy those and please stop threads such as this one!

My consoles better than your console! Grow up! :suicide:

N.B - no I'm not an MS fanboy, just someone who wants to play great games!

Oh the irony in your post. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

If we're talking about sales figures at various places in the world, why not look at the U.S. as it's the worlds largest video game market. I'll be surprised if things pan out very differently over here.

November 06:
360:511,000
WII:476,000
PS3:197,000
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/02/us_console_sales_npd/

December 06:
360:1,100,000
WII:604,200
PS3:490,700
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/15/us_console_sales_npd/

January 07:
WII:436,000
360:294,000
PS3:244,000
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55887.html

February 07:
WII: 335,000
360: 228,000
PS3: 127,000
http://news.digitaltrends.com/article12484.html

Australian 4 day Xbox 360 launch: 30,421 consoles sold - @ AU$649.95 each = AU$19,772,128.95
Australian 4 day Nintendo Wii launch: 32,901 consoles sold @ AU$399.95 each = AU$13,158,754.95
Australian ten day PlayStation 3 launch: 27,083 consoles sold @ AU$999.95 each = AU$27,081,645.85

See the difference there talking about there not talking about numbers there talking about hard cash

however who cares all i care is that i enjoy playing on the PS3

So the record launch in Australia was selling the least of the 3 new consoles. :rotfl:

No no no, Bishman... this is a good thing, because it means that there are more ps3's on the shelves for people to buy....

Or something....

/zz101 mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom