1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another projector upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DeadEye, Aug 19, 2015.

1. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    So my beloved HD80 has finally died. It's been making a racket for a year or so on startup and now the bulb has gone.

While it didn't have the best contrast or brightness, I loved the picture quality from the DLP chip. I don't suffer with the rainbow issues etc.

So, I'm thinking a reconditioned HD83 or maybe a HD91 but I keep reading about the Sony HW40ES. When I read a review of the HW40ES, it say it nearly as good as the HW55ES which doesn't seem to be that much more expensive.

I've been out of the projector game for 8 years (which is how long my HD80 lasted!) so any advice on a replacement would be appreciated. Budget about £2k - quite keen on 2nd hand but reasonably new etc.

The HW40ES is on eBay for £1124 which is either too good to be true or a bargain. The HW55ES seems to be around £1700-£2k

2. Sandra51

Sandra51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    It may be best to avoid that eBay seller if you look at his feedback as one of the negatives is this one :
    Attempting to sell 40 x £1,200 projectors that they never had.Funding exercise.. Buyer:
    l***o ( 222[​IMG])
    During past year
    [​IMG]
    Sony VPL-HW40ES SXRD 3D Home Theatre Digital Projector 1700 ANSI Lumens HD (#251678142820) £1,199.99

3. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Yes I suspected TGTBT but was the 20k feedback. He has 521 positive and 3 negative in a month which is pretty good IMHO.

4. Sandra51

Sandra51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Even stranger if he only has a feedback of 222 then isn't it as even if only half of the people he dealt with had left any feedback he would have a higher number than that, I think that I smell that something is not right.

5. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    222 is the user leaving the review, not the seller.