• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

yet another powerline/switch question!

clickers

Hi Guys/Gals,

Wonder if you could help me out with the following setup - I have a pair of orange homeplugs/powerline adapters (think they're rebranded devolos) which work great getting me a network connection down my garden studio for my computer

The issue i've got is that i'm wanting to add some more items which will all require Ethernet connections (xbox, another HTPC etc). I connected an old netgear WGR614 I had lying around and although thats worked as far as getting an internet connection, I now cant seem to see other computers on the network back in the house.

The 'original' network is a 192.168.0.x and the new IPs assigned by the WGR614 are in the 192.168.1.x range. I can still ping 192.168.0.x but as mentioned, windows can't seem to see my media PC back in the house. If I take the WGR614 out of the equation all is fine again.

Wondering the easiest way to solve this? Would a cheap network switch connected to the powerline down the garden studio suffice and use the same network 192.168.0.x range or am I going to have the same issue as using the WGR614? Sorry for the noddy questions, not quite sure how switches work as far as assigning/routing etc

Hope any of the above makes sense!

cjed

You can fix the problem by using a switch instead of the WGR614. Or you can set up the WGR614 so all it's routing DHCP functions are turned off and it's operating as just a switch.

The problem is that both your main router and the WGR614 are trying to act as DHCP servers on the network (simply put that's the function of assigning addresses to individual devices and managing traffic on the network). You've noticed that you're getting two different logical networks set up (they're called subnets) one on 192.168.1.x and one on 192.168.0.x - you need to disable the DHCP server on the WGR614 so you end up with just a single logical network.

Personally I'd spend the £15 or so and get a 5-port gigabit switch instead of the WGR614 - that way there's no configuration involved.

maf1970

Why go and spend money when a little bit of reading will help the OP solve his problem ?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom