yet another packing in the fags thread .....

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
..... so after an asthma attack last night , into hospital , arms like pin cushions , no sleep etc etc etc , it is officially time to give up the fags , now , i thought about one of those efag things , but to me they look pretty silly plus are you not just fooling yourself to a degree , patches ? , maybe , but not convinced about them either , so i reckon cold turkey is the way to go , anyone else done it ? , i realise other threads are around like this but i wanted my own , is that wrong ? , at the moment i am fag free for approx 24 hours , with most of that in hospital , with no option but to not smoke , roughly £7 / day for the habit turns into a reasonable surround system in a month and a half or so , that should be something to attain to , however , i have the money now , should i go and buy one so i dont have the money to buy fags , ramble over .....:rotfl:

I've quit twice, went cold turkey both times. The first time round i went 2yrs without a cigarette, this time i'm 2 months and counting. I've never felt better.

All the best :thumbsup:

Good luck in kicking the habit

I've heard that Champix tablets make it easier from friends, but im sure you have heard all about them already.

I went cold turkey when quitting and have not touched one for nearly 4 years, in fact the smell really offends me now.
The first few months are difficult but I suggest you set a target eg your surround sound system or a nice holiday and make sure you focus on the nice things that money can be used for.

I also found chewing sugar free gum helpful and maybe think about taking up a new hobby to occupy yourself in the moments that it does get difficult.

Best of luck with it, keep strong and you will really feel the benefits health wise within 12 months.

If you think having your own thread is likely to help you more than the existing ones, then as far as I'm concerned, you can have as many as you want Paul :thumbsup:

Good Luck :)

(well: one, anyway :D)

IronGiant said:
If you think having your own thread is likely to help you more than the existing ones, then as far as I'm concerned, you can have as many as you want Paul :thumbsup:

Hello iron giant, it's me.

My mother try'd to stop smoking without absolutely anything, no patches no pills, nothing. But......... She failed after three months, her legs started to swell which was a sighn that her body was punishing her for not taking nicotine, so what did she do... She forcefully smoked a cig just to stop the swelling. She the kind of person who thinks " I don't need patches or ever will" person.

IronGiant said:

Thanks :D , one thing I need to keep an eye on is my weight , got weighed last night and I am 110kg at 5'8" !!!!!!

Yes, no nicotine causes more weight.

Do you mean that No Nicotine may make you want to eat when you would normally smoke and that the extra eating causes the increased weight?

More some action to satisfy or attempt to allay the craving?

Im into my 3rd month of no nicotine after 40yrs as a smoker.I've lost 10lb in weight over the past 3 weeks on a diet. Champix is working for me.

K.

KUBBY said:
Do you mean that No Nicotine may make you want to eat when you would normally smoke and that the extra eating causes the increased weight?

More some action to satisfy or attempt to allay the craving?

Im into my 3rd month of no nicotine after 40yrs as a smoker.I've lost 10lb in weight over the past 3 weeks on a diet. Champix is working for me.

K.

Yes that's what I meant.

As I said before, my mothers legs swelled, was that really the nicotine punishing the body, it definitely wasn't fat.

It was her body punishing her for having been on nicotine. Being on nicotine messes with all sorts of bodily functions and the body doesn't quite know what to do without it and can't regulate itself properly. What your mum was suffering from was fluid leaking out of the blood into the tissues in the lower extremities, ie her legs. Quitting smoking improves blood flow and her legs didn't quite know what to do with all the extra blood flowing through them.

Do a search on "quit smoking edema" :thumbsup:

Hey, what do you guys think of those nicorette throat sprays, you know you spray it in your mouth. I don't know I haven't tried it, by the way this is Tyrone mum hi to every one on this forum, when I stopped smoking I did it with nothing only will power it was very hard I did achieve it for little while 3 month's but I failed, I you to be big binge drinker but guess what I stopped drinking longer than the cigarettes yes ( 6 years ) I stopped this habit on my own longer than the ciggaretes. Oh by the way my name is Charmaine.

Last edited:
For me....

I spent ages asking myself if I enjoyed that last smoke, if I wanted it, needed it etc etc and in the end convinced myself that I didn't want it. Perhaps I brain washed myself, but it worked and for me it was 100% in my head and not through the use of anything else.

Convince yourself that its no good and not needed and you will win the battle.

Good luck :smashin:

tyrone burton said:
Hey, what do you guys think of those nicorette throat sprays, you know you spray it in your mouth. I don't know I haven't tried it, by the way this is Tyrone mum hi to every one on this forum, when I stopped smoking I did it with nothing only will power it was very hard I did achieve it for little while 3 month's but I failed, I you to be big binge drinker but guess what I stopped drinking longer than the cigarettes yes ( 6 years ) I stopped this habit on my own longer than the ciggaretes. Oh by the way my name is Charmaine.
not bad for 49 year's old.

Tyrone, you are going to get banned again if you can't stop trolling...

Letting someone else use your account is a bannable offence :)

Back to my question though, are the niccorette throat sprays any good for quitting, has anyone tried them.

tyrone burton said:
Back to my question though, are the niccorette throat sprays any good for quitting, has anyone tried them.

Would be interested to know myself .....

I tried the spray for a time.Tastes foul IMO and brought on harsh hiccups every time.

The local Pharmacist,who has overseen the course of Champix for me said that it was a common side effect of the spray.I only used it 10/15 times then gave up.

I have not heard of Champix being banned.I'm a firm advocate of it.I was smoking during the first week of taking it then,one evening,stubbed out a small cigar and have not had another one since.

Apparently,it works by blocking off the receptors in the brain that react to nicotine.

K.

A single session of hypnosis did it for me & a bunch of workmates back in '81. Worked for all but one who decided to test the suggestion that "Smoking another cigarette will make you sick" by lighting up on the way out! :suicide:

My missus tried several sessions (different hypnotist) & acupuncture but neither worker for her. She finally kicked it with nicotine lozenges but is still addicted to those instead. :facepalm:

I can confirm from my own experience that swapping a daily habit of 20 fags for a daily habit of a family sized pack of McVities digestives does indeed lead to fat git syndrome... :blush:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom