1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet Another Noob Sub Question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Bob Smith, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks

Just bought myself my first sub (MS309) and was sold a single phono lead with it, however I'm using a stereo amp (using my pre-out) and not a surround amp with a sub output, so am wondering whether I should swap it for a stereo phono lead?

I ask this because atm if I turn the balance to the left, the subwoofer goes silent, so is not receiving any bass info from the right channel. Also I've read using both left and right together gives a 6db increase in subwoofer gain, and atm I've got to have it on maximum just to get it on a similar volume to the speakers (B&W DM601 S3s, btw).

However (sorry a second question), could this lack of volume from the sub be due to it being brand new and not run-in? I'm familiar with how speakers run in (had plenty of those before), and they've never seemed to get louder (or at least I've not noticed), so any info on running in subs would be appreciated to (i.e. what to expect). I've been experimenting with placement (have put the sub in my listening position, on a chest of draws to get the high right) and wherever I stick my head the bass sounds wooly, not what I expected from such a high reviewed subwoofer. Although I'm not entirely sure what I should be hearing anyway, I though sounds like the kick drum would be boosted, but that seems to mainly be at higher frequencies (I can get the sub to reproduce those notes, but need the crossover near the 200Hz point, far too high obv.)

Cheers

Bob

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes if you are going the pre-amp out route then you're best with a stereo connection to the sub. I'd also expect the crossover setting to be more critical compared to the sub out of an AV amp. Get a stereo lead and go from there.
    Alternatively, unsure if the 309 allows high gain input from a spare set of speaker terminals?

Good luck...PJ

3. Bob Smith

Bob Smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes it does, would this provide any benefit? It seems a more awkward connection method to me. I once spoke to a salesman in my local Sevenoaks about the difference, and basically he said there wasn't any (in terms of sound). Considering I've already got two sets of speakers running off my amp (one bi-wired), things are pretty messy at the back already.

Cheers, will pop out soon and get that cable changed :)

Bob

4. Bob Smith

Bob Smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK I've got the correct cable now, that help give me some of the volume I was missing. I've placed the sub where I seem to get the least boom, although this is also the place that makes the sub the most quiet, there's enough volume left to cope.

I have my PC hooked up to my hi-fi and have played lots of test tones and decided my sub was too active in the 30-40Hz region, as this was much louder than the 45-60Hz zone which the sub is also doing, so have set up the notch filter to reduce frequencies aroud 35Hz, which has let me put the sub up a bit without any boom.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I've searched on the net quite a bit and most guides basically boil down to saying "experiment", which I suppose is the best advice although not particularly helpful.

The sub isn't making as much difference as I had thought, although that said I haven't tried any films out on in yet, or cranked the volume up particularly loud on my amp (don't want to overstress the sub while it's running in).

Cheers for any advice

Bob