Yet another noob question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by papa_lazarou, Feb 1, 2009.

1. papa_lazarou

papa_lazarou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all, a little help please if anybody has any suggestions.

I have just taken delivery of a new Sharp LC-46XL2E and it came with a Sharp Blu-Ray Player as well.

I was looking at getting a Home cinema package (am I right in thinking that if you get a home theatre system you don't need an amp)?? but i'm not sure whether I need another disk player? so I thought about a separate Amp/Receiver and speakers would be a better bet?

So can anybody recommend a decent set up. Ideally I would like the rear speakers to be wireless and the front and centre speakers to be wall mountable, any suggestions on where to look?

I have between £500 and £1000 at the absolute outside to spend including cables and the room is not too big at about 5x3 metres with the TV going on the narrow end wall.

Thanks in advance.

Papa.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    - Yes, I think separates are a better option, your budget will allow for a decent amp and speakers

- I wouldn't recommend wireless speakers, aside from quality of signal issues, they still require cables (to the mains and usually to each other), there are a number of solutions to hiding cables

- as a starting point you probably want to split your budget 50/50 between amp and speakers, but I think you ideally be looking at £230 -£300 on an amp and more on the speakers

- is the intended use just for movies, or are you planning on using the system for music too, in which case I'd recommend investing more in the front speakers

- try Superfi (Superfi Online - UK's best supplier of hifi equipment including separates, systems and accessories. Purchase Home Cinema Equipment, DVD players, minidiscs, amplifiers, cassette decks, CD players, Digital recorders, personal stereos, speakers, turntab) or Richer Sounds (http://www.richersounds.com/splashpage.php) first to get an idea of what's available, and arrange a demo of what you are interested in)

Chris

3. papa_lazarou

papa_lazarou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    yeah I was thinking it will be maybe better to go separate. I will be playing music on the system too but not that often as i'm probably going for a decent ipod dock for the room. I would only play music through the system when I was upstairs.

I'm going to get a magazine today to get an idea of what is out there. I've been thinking that the rear speakers probably wouldn't be entirely wireless and as i'm planning on a new floor I can probably run some channels to the back of the room. The front and centre speakers will be going on the floating wall with the TV though.

4. Gibbo the Geek

Gibbo the Geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For a similar price range I've just gotten a Denon avr1909 and a set of canton movie cd102's (well the speakers are on backorder but...)

The denon is amazing for that price, also is the onkyo 606 popular at a very similar price reduction. (prices are apparently going to increase soon if you are in the UK due to the epic failure of the pound).

Speakers it depends on if you want something discreet or larger.

5. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Some amps support dedicated docks (such as the Yamaha YDS-11) which intgerate nicely into the system (remote, OSD and video support), and would probably give better sound too, unless you are going for a very expensive standalone dock.

Chris