Yet another newbie 'What shall I buy' question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by purds, May 2, 2007.

1. purds

purds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am a more or less a complete novice with HD kit although was interested in reasonable hi fi audio kit many years ago. I am in the process of converting my ex double garage into a cinema room and must admit to being completely at a loss as to which plasma to buy. Timescale - anytime from now to say end of the summer.

Looking for something 50" minimum which will be wall mounted and mostly used for DVD viewing. Most will therefore be SD although played on a decent (circa £1000 - 1500)upscaling player (I think I just about understand the basics of upscaling). Seating will be around 10 to 12 feet from the screen.Eventually I would intend to buy an HDDVD player but not until things settle down in the HDDVD vs Blueray battle. In any event the many DVD's owned will mean that upscaled SD will continue to make up the vast majority of viewing in the immediate future. Maybe also get sky hd at some stage although DVD viewing is a definate prority.

First question - what screens should I be considering? Budget is prob around 2 - 3 £k ish. Have read quite a bit about 1080p which makes my head ache. Am I right in thinking that for the above screen size and viewing distance 1080p would likely be worth waiting for - or have I just fallen for the sales pitch? I am not interested in changing kit every 12 months so what I buy now needs to be as 'future proof' as is possible.

Second question - is buying the kit at best price (web) and installing and setting up myself as easy as I am imagining? I am not an expert (no prizes for working that one out!) but am reasonably competent with most semi tech stuff (although no experience of home cinema kit). Am I wrong here and would I be much better paying high street prices and getting the backup and support offered by that route?

Please be gentle with me and thanks in advance for any guidance offered.

2. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    If you're going to spend 4K I'd point you towards the PH9 deal av-sales are currently doing on here. Not sure what they're selling the 50" for now, I know the amazing deal just ended but even so it's not that much.

Plug that into a vp30 scaler with abt102 board (1Kish) plus SDI mod.

SDI modded DVD player (Oppo 981 perhaps)

That should do it for about the budget.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    That's one option.
    Another is to see what the new Pioneers are like price-wise and hype-cum-fact.
    Current consensus is that the Fujitsu 50" is the king of plasma, but it's only regular HD (1366x768).
    That's circa £3K alone.

As for 1080p native (Full HD) panels, the general opinion is that it's more a numbers game than outright PQ improvement at anything below 65". How the Panny 58PZ700 sits in that regard is open to conjecture, assuming the UK even gets it and doesn't skip straight to the 65" version.
    Either way, at 50", there's likely to be no intrinsic benefit unless you're sat really close to the TV.

That said, with the Pioneer having 1080p24 capability, hooking up their or any BR/HD-DVD player which outputs 1080p24 (as opposed to the more normal 50/60 fps) then you will see what the director saw whilst deciding on the final edit.

Whether that makes one iota of difference is probably an entirely new thread right there, and ultimately may be a sales gimmick from a different approach to persuade punters they have to buy into BR (or HD-DVD?) which Pioneer is part of that consortium - you buy their TV, more than likely you'll buy their BR player when it appears.

4. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    The suggestion I gave provides 24 (or 48) HZ support too. The screen can take it over RGBHV and the scaler can output it - for normal Region1 DVD as well as HD/BluRay.

5. CHFels

CHFels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Given your price and time-frame constraints, I recommend you wait til later in Summer when the full-HD Panasonic 50PZ700 and the equivalent Pioneer are both out. I disagree with some posters who say that the difference between full-HD and 1366-768 is negligible at 50" - I agree the extra detail is subtle, and only to be appreciated with great source material, but it is nevertheless perceptible.

More relevant though are the trade-offs of processor scaling. At full-HD if you feed in a true 1080p source (e.g. PS3 or Blu-ray), the TV doesn't have to up- or downscale, which should preserve optimum PQ. The lower-res plasma has to work a bit to downscale to its native resolution. On the other hand, when you feed the full-hd panel an SD image (freeview, cable or Sky), it has to work a lot harder to display it without nasty processing artifacts, clay faces etc. Some current full-HD LCDs look like crap on SD for precisely this reason. So if you will view much SD source material, you must carefully audition these new full-hd plasmas yourself, to see whether they handle SD to your satisfaction.

Bottom line: I'd relax about it and come back to the forum in a couple of months. :smashin:

CHfels