Yet another 'my US dvds are only playing black and white' question....

M

metalligirl1

Hi everybody. As the title suggests....

I have bought a few dvds from the US in the past few years and they only play in black and white. Apart from that the picture quality is fantastic but I'm getting fed up of playing them on my computer just to see colour. I have read through other posts on the board (all of which were very helpful) and understand that I need to get a RGB SCART but was wondering if this would make any difference as my TV is reeeeeeally old (I'm talking electric blue, Matsui TVR 180, that's 8 years old!)? My DVD player is a SONY DVP NS30 if that's any help.

Also, if all I need to do is get a RGB is this one any good?

Thank you so much for any help/guidence you can give me.

dwhite

understand that I need to get a RGB SCART but was wondering if this would make any difference as my TV is reeeeeeally old (I'm talking electric blue, Matsui TVR 180, that's 8 years old!)?
Well if you want colour you need a RGB scart into a RGB compatible input on your tv. Without it will still be black and white!

The cable you linked to will work. Might not be the best quality tho. You can probably pick up an IXOS one for about a tenner if you want better quality.

gary99129

Novice Member
I'm not sure that you need an RGB Scart lead. I suspect you need a new TV that supports NTSC, or you need to force your DVD player to change it's output (I'd imagine to PAL). I've used the later method on my mother-in-laws Beko TV and an old portable TV I used to own and it worked fine with 2 different TV/DVD combinations.

I have an American VHS player, that has no scart socket only composite video output. It works perfectly on all my TVs, as they all support NTSC.

Costas

The problem is your old TV.

Most likely it does not accept a NTSC signal but only PAL. Alternatively - or in addition -, the TV Scart socket is not RGB enabled (It means if you send RGB from the DVD player it only picks the lower quality of S-Video or Composite).

Come on.... it is time for a new TV... well overdue !!!

M

metalligirl1

^^Ahhhh don't say that! I adore that tv :)
Thanks for your help guys.

Bogi

Novice Member
Hi

I'm not familiar with your DVD-player you have, but I'd check the manual and look for the feature called TV type (or similar) and then change it from Auto to PAL. All DVD players I've come across the last few years have that feature.

Cheers

H

Hkan

This player seems not to have that function of manually set the TV-system.
In the user Manual it says like this:

When you play a disc in the NTSC colour system, the player outputs the video signal or the Setup Display etc in the NTSC colour system and the picture may not appear on the PAL colour system television. In this case, open the tray and remove the disc.
You find the manual here: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2581895E31.pdf

Bogi

Novice Member
Yeah, you're right. Really odd, though. So the only option is to see if the TV can handle NTSC at all, maybe there's another input that can be set to accept NTSC signals.

Cheers

spooney

Novice Member
maybe there's another input that can be set to accept NTSC signals.

Cheers
For sure not. Either you TV accepts NTSC or it doesn't. If it is not a grand old model most likely it will do so.
Your player should have the option Auto, PAL, NTSC. Sometimes NTSC sometimes Auto will fix the problem.
If it were all DVDs you would have set S-VHS as output ;)

Bogi

Novice Member
Your player should have the option Auto, PAL, NTSC. Sometimes NTSC sometimes Auto will fix the problem.
That was what I suggested to the OP but it's not possible. The player doesn't have the option to choose between Auto, PAL or NTSC, I checked the PDF link provided. The player outputs the native signal on the disc and you can't force it into either mode.

I think it's odd, as all players I've come across since my first one bought in 1998 have had that option, even really cheapo ones.

At times it has been a simple selectable option, at times one has had to do a combination of button presses. But this player doesn't have that option at all according to the manual (page 16 and 61). It simply outputs NTSC if it's NTSC on the disc, or PAL if it's PAL on the disc.

Odd.

So it's all down to his telly...

Cheers

Bogi

Novice Member
... or buy a cheapo DVD player, like the Philips 5960, that does have the option of choosing signal output... :)

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom