1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another "I need some advice on cables" thread

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by NicolasB, Jan 4, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    After many months my system is finally approaching the point where it can be turned on for the first time. Couple of weeks to go. :) I'd appreciate some suggestions on cabling. For interconnects I'm interested in cables that are fairly rugged (i.e. the wires inside the plugs won't snap if you accidentally tread on the cable), which will not suffer from internal corrosion and (particularly) that have good quality shielding, in the plugs as well as in the wires. I can imagine that for video "ringing" might be a problem in cheap cables.

I don't want to spend a fortune. I suppose I could go to £80 for a truly superlative lead but it'd have to be hugely much better than something costing £40, which in turn would have to be significantly much better than something costing £20.

Kit bought so far: Arcam DV27, Bryston 9B THX, B&W Nautilus 803 speakers. To follow shortly: processor (still haven't decided which - would love a Bryston SP1.7 or even an old SP1, but can't afford a new one, so it is likely to be either an Arcam AV8 or Meridian 568.2, possibly a Tag McLaren bp192); B&W Nautilus HTM1 centre speaker. Will be using some existing bookshelf speakers as rears for a few months until I can afford some proper ones.

I'm going to need the following:

- Coaxial digital interconnect (DVD to processor)

- Optical digital interconnect (Sky+ box to processor)

- Stereo phono-to-phono cable (DVD player analogue out to processor analogue bypass)

- Some combination of 5 audio cables which will depend on my choice of processor - phono-to-phono for the Arcam, XLR balanced for a Bryston SP1.7, or three XLR and two phono for a Meridian 568.2.

- Video cables - again this will depend on the processor choice (in terms of video switching abilities) so may involve RGB-only SCART cables or component-to-component and SCART-to-component cables (both of which will actually be carrying RGB signals).

- I'm also toying with the idea of getting some more-heavily-shielded mains cables to help eliminate 50 Hz hum on the speakers, but wouldn't want to spend too much on that.

Suggestions?

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Heres my 2p worth..

Digital Inteconnect I would use the Ecosse Producer.. best thing it only costs £20.

For a optical one I have a Chord.. and a cheapy.. cant notice much difference though the chord build quality is much better.. they are about £40

Interconnects I have used the most have been QED Silver Spiral..which I have been able to get for between 30-40 a pair (some was off the forums etc etc..again good interconnects though I am sure someone else will have tried out far more than me.)

One the subject of Mains cables etc etc I have tried a few.. mainly using RA yello cables £30 for a 3ft cable.. also I have had a RA powerkord with a Wattgate IEC 320 for my DV88.. very nice as well.. but I am about to build my own using Supra Lo-rad cable at £12 a metre which is meant to be very good and using MK tough plug with silver plated connectors and a IEC 320 connector.. for the bits it works outs about £40 for a 1 metre length.. I'll let u know what I think.. though this way it does work out cheaper than pre-made ones..

I also recommend QED Scart cables.. built to last for sure (again ecosse RGB cables are meant to be good but pricy) and also Olson power blocks.. again very good quality for the price (and mains filtered etc etc - £98 for a 8 plug block).

HTH

Matt

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did test a few cables, my choicess on a budget where:

Digital - Audioquest VSB1, didn´t like the Ecosse...
    Phono - Ecosse Composer

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Why not?

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I tested, I was in the middle of replacing all my cables, I had everything different brand, whatever the instaler brought with him, and I was trying to go with one brand, if possible...

Ecosse was highly recommended, so I brought the lot home, low to mid range, the Composers won to all other phono I tested, the speaker cable and the digital where very dull in my system, compared with the Audioquest I mentioned and with Cable Talk 3.1 speaker cable...

Since then I upgraded to Siltech digital, even better detail and stage, and Deltec (DPA) phono and speaker cable, what an improvement...

You will loose a lot with medium cables, but you can always upgrade later, and have more fun...

I didn´t recommend speaker cables, because they depend a lot on your speakers and taste, they can influence timbre a lot, you have to test...

The best SCART in the market is the Chord, a little expensive, but worth it...