Yet Another Home Music Streaming Question

richardbooth

Standard Member
I have read a few of the posts on here but thought I may as well state my exact requirements and see if anyone can help..

I want to connect something, be it a NAS or preferably an old computer, to my Netgear Wi-fi router on which I can store music files. The something should be able to be accessed by me and the 3 other people in my house so they can play and/or copy the files on or to their own computers. I'm also perhaps thinking of making trying FreeNas to set up my own server?

I would also like to be able to stream music from this something to the kitchen, where I have an amp and speakers and also browse the files at this location. I realise I may need to buy some kind of wireless player (Squeezebox?) to do this, which is fine but I was hoping to spend as little as possible - maybe £200 at the most.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Last edited:

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Yet Another Home Music Streaming Question posted in the wrong section;)

Moved.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
Old PC jammed with a couple of big discs, loaded with Vortexbox software from the Vortexbox site connected via LAN to your router.
Feed the old PC your CDs, they will be ripped and tagged automagically, and organised into FLAC for streaming and MP3 for portable player music goodness. You don't need a monitor, keyboard etc as you access the Old PC via the web Gui.

Squeezebox would see this old PC as the server and it would happily interact with it. In fact Vortexbox is basically a Linux install with SB server software pre-configured for you.

Set up WOL on your old PC and when you switch on a SB it will wake up the server PC, saves you running around switching things on and off just to listen to some choonz, configure a packaged plugin called 'Server Power Control' to send it to sleep after a period of inactivity.
Add more squeezeboxes as you need them, there are often good bargains to be had on a well know auction site.

Upgrade the old PC as and when you feel like it.
Managing how other people upload to the server could be a pain in the pooper, best to blitz it in one shot, then add music in a controlled manner.
Assuming the other users are not direct family members, sharing music like this is borderline illegal in the UK, I'm personally not bothered how you use your own and other people's music, but you need to be aware.

Another alternative would be to get a Squeezebox Touch, sign up to Napster and/or Spotify and avoid the whole hassle, assuming you only need access to all the music in the world, and can accept lower quality (320 kbps) sounds.:)

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
>maybe £200 at the most.<

That's really into 2nd hand territory. Not a problem, you can pick up an ex-corporate HP mini-desktop with a 250Gb disk for £75, and a Squeezebox Classic/SB3 off t'Bay for £100. Install Vortexbox on the PC and you're away.

Some more ideas here...

Last edited:

richardbooth

Standard Member
Thanks guys - very helpful. So it seems VortexBox is the way to go over this FreeNas then. Just one question - what is SB? WOL is wake on LAN I assume - so the PC will only be on when needed?

Thanks again.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
SB=Squeezebox
WOL=Wake On Lan

All SBs send a WOL magic packet (to the last server they were connected to) when they come out of standby or are booted up. This will wake the PC/server etc (if its configured to accept the WOL command) as long as the server is hard wired to the router.

" so the PC will only be on when needed?"
Absolutely, the rest of the time it will be in standby (which you can configure depending your machine's BIOS). Boot time is faster from its sleeping state than from cold, it does draw some (normally very small amount) power in this mode though. Power draw depends on your machine and sleep settings.

richardbooth

Standard Member
Yeah sorry - I got the SB abbreviation shortly after posting. Thanks again though.

So I now have some questions about VortexBox.. Is there another thread you know of that has an FAQ about the software? Main questions are:

Can you use it to store other types of files, e.g. video?

Can people connected to our Wi-Fi network use it like a normal network share to copy files etc?

I guess maybe the easiest thing to do is install it and find out how it works first-hand.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
"Can you use it to store other types of files, e.g. video?

Can people connected to our Wi-Fi network use it like a normal network share to copy files etc?

I guess maybe the easiest thing to do is install it and find out how it works first-hand."

Yes

Yes I used mine to store docs, photos, videos, as well as music. That particular machine has since completely failed me (it was made largely from recycled parts) so I haven't used Vortexbox for a while.

Yes, be aware that installing the Vortexbox iso will probably reformat the hard drive(s) of the PC that you install it on. It loads a linux operating system variant (Redhat Fedora ) which you then access via a web front end on another PC (its very easy and straightforward even for non-Linux peeps like me).....Save anything off the old PC that you can't live without first, as you will probably lose it all in the reformatting!

richardbooth

Standard Member
Cheers. Yeah I was aware it will format the HDD - I was planning to build a cheap PC with a couple of drives configured in RAID for storage and install Vortex on that. It's been a long time since I messed around with PCs though (Intel P4s were the CPU of choice then) so hae to see how I go..

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom