Yet another "help needed" thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by t256256, Apr 25, 2007.

1. t256256

t256256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello - hopefully someone might be able to help me. But, firstly apologies for yet another "Advice needed" post - this forum seems to have a lot of them - however, the positive news is they've all been answered. Nice work guys, and of course here's hoping for some good advice on the following:

At the moment I've got Sky HD and a Sony 40" LCD with only one HDMI input. The number of HDMI devices at home is set to grow - I could 'fix' this with a HDMI 'extension box', but I'd prefer to bite the bullet and start looking at AV Amps. At the end of the day I can see the following HDMI 'inputs':

Sky HD, PS/3, HD Blue Ray, Local cable companies HD receiver (just launched) - so that's four HDMI 'in', then one HDMI 'out' to the TV.

Obviously, from the AV Amp I need 5.1 surround sound (compatible with the TOS link thingie on the back of the Sky HD box), but I'm not sure about the other devices (dumb question - can HDMI also provide the signals for 5.1 surround sound? I'm guessing not as the Sky HD box needs a separate output).

So, taking the above into account, what would you recommend? Critical thing is whatever the box is should be 100% compatible with the Sky HD decoder.

Also, speakers - the living room is a bit on the small side, so I don't need giant output - so again, advice needed - what speaker set to get?

Ta in advance,

t256256

2. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    If you want 4 HDMI inputs in one amp then I'm afraid you're looking at a minimum of around a grand.

May I suggest that instead of buying a PS3 and BR player, just use the PS3 for BR playback. It's very very good at this so there's really no need for a seperate player.

Also there's little point in having cable and Sky HD, the content is pretty much identical so would be a waste of money really.

Amps such as the Onkyo 674 would handle 2 HDMI inputs and upconvert all other inputs to HDMI. Currently it's available for around 350-400 quid.

If 4 HDMI inputs are a must then it's probably cheaper getting an amp like the 674 and buying a HDMI switcher ~150 quid.

Speaker choice is vast so you're probably better deciding which amp you want to go for then starting a thread in the speaker section.

Dave.

3. t256256

t256256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks - most appreciated. Of course, you spotted the hole in my cunning plan - the PS/3 is also a blue ray DVD player as well. FYI: I'm living over in Belgium, so the new HD cable service should offer more programming (altho' the just launched 'HD Package' consists of the local version of ITV with just one show in HD and Nat Geographic HD [already got it]) - so the Onkyo with 2x HDMIs might just do it.

Anyone else got a suggestion now I've reduced the HDMI 'in' count to two possible three. Finally, ta for the tip about speakers forum - hopefully they're all friendly over there as well.

Again, thanks.

4. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    There is little if any difference between HDMI and component in terms of picture quality so if you have something that can output component just use the amps upconversion to output via HDMI.

The amp you choose depends mainly on your budget. I always recommend the 674 because it offers outstanding value for money but if your budget can stretch a little then there's a lot more choice.

5. t256256

t256256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Again ta - did a Google on the Onkyo 674 and it seems to have great ratings. One extra dumb question - it's 7.1, can it also run as a 5.1 box? I can't for the life me see how the other two speakers would improve the accoustics in our front room.

Oh yeah - yet another question (sorry), any advice on where to buy?