Yet another Harmony 885 query - alphabetical lcd buttons!

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Have finally taken the plunge and got the 885 and on the whole I'm very pleased with it. However, after some initial problems with setting up (how unintuitive is the whole process????), I've finally got everything working just how I want......apart from one thing. Here's where I hope you guys can help me ;)

3 of my devices are a Pioneer dvd, Toshiba hd-dvd and a Pioneer receiver. The power on/off/toggle button for all three is on the lcd screen after the set up process automatically downloaded the codes from the website, so no manual tinkering from me on this front. However, as these lcd button's are listed alphabetically, the power buttons are on the 4th, 2nd and 8th page of the lcd buttons respectively! That's a lot of faff when you just want to turn the kit on.

Spent nearly an hour last night with the onscreen manual and generally mucking around to try and re-order the lcd buttons but to no avail. Anyone got any ideas how to reorder these? Or failing that, just giving me the power buttons on the first page of each device's lcd screens? :smashin:

Cheers,

Mark

I would like to know this too, as you say there is a lot of rubbish that needs to be scrolled through to get to what option you need to display.

3 of my devices are a Pioneer dvd, Toshiba hd-dvd and a Pioneer receiver. The power on/off/toggle button for all three is on the lcd screen after the set up process automatically downloaded the codes from the website, so no manual tinkering from me on this front. However, as these lcd button's are listed alphabetically, the power buttons are on the 4th, 2nd and 8th page of the lcd buttons respectively! That's a lot of faff when you just want to turn the kit on.
You shouldn't need to use the Power On/Off toggles on the LCD to turn things on and off.

The Harmony range is Activity based and should be set up so that when you choose Watch a Movie (for example) it turns on everything you need to Watch a Movie (e.g. TV, Homecinema etc.) and when you press the Off Button (the one in the middle at the top) it turns everything off again.

If you want a Device based remote control I suggest you return your Harmony and get something else more suitable.

TBH if you haven't got your head around the idea of activities then I'm not surprised you found it a faff to set up!

Agree 100% with Captain747....you need to re-train yourself, rather than the remote. Let the Activities take care of all power and input switching...that's why you buy a Harmony in the first place!

TBH I'd avoided the activities issue because of some of the idiosyncrisies in my kit - I have a SD and HD dvd player, but only one hdmi to the pj and no means of hdmi switching with my amp, meaning manually swapping the cable round. the subwoofer has no remote operation so has to be manually switched on. I have handshake issues between pj and HD dvd player so a source lock has to be put on every time its used, which is a problem if previously I'd been using the component input for the xbox360.....all of these things just made me shy away from using the activities.

Still, if I've got the remote (and it has the ability to deal with most of these issues) I may as well make the most out of it :D

Cheers,

mark

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom