1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another garage conversion...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jamesgrahamuk, Jun 15, 2005.

1. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

We are just about to move into a new build house with an integral garage and the plan has always been to convert that garage into a dedicated cinema room.

I have made precise measurements and created some exact scale renders of how I would like the room to look. Looking at those plans, can anybody advise on the pitfalls, problems and any other issues I should consider before plunging in?

I will be contracting a builder to deal with things such as building the seperating wall in the garage, false ceiling and so on. When it comes to DIY and interior design I am afraid that I am more of a Lawrence than a Handy-Andy (can't believe I just typed that).

The garage itself is integral to a three-storey end terraced house and has a party wall with next door's garage.

I would particularly appreciate any advice regarding soundproofing and air-conditioning as I know that I want both of these but I have very little practical knowledge (none, actually) of either.

As for kit, I will be using much of my existing set up but plan to install a Jamo THX 7.1 setup consisting of 3 D6LCR's, 4 D6SUR's and a D6SUB (as reflected in the drawings).

What do you think?

James Graham.

Attached Files:

2. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well those are some nice plans!!!

I'm actually about to embark on a very similar thing myself next month.

Fortunately I have quite a large detached single garage to play with but like you, have very little practical experience.

I do however intend to do everything that I can myself. Pretty much everything except electrics.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    hi james,

as mr.coates said very nice plans - what software did you use to render them?

I've not done this myself but from a lot of the reading I've done on here it would seem that soundproofing this room might cause you a little problem in that it will doubtless cut into the space you have. looking at the renders you've done it seems that the room is fairly narrow and this is the dimension you'd be reducing if you soundproof a wall between you and next door. the most effective solutions seem to be based on building false plasterboard walls and sealing themo completely but this would cut several inches out of the width of the room.

that said, do you need to soundproof it if it only joins onto their garage? Might be worth having a chat with the neighbours and seeing what they think, could you get some equipment (maybe just a sub and some front speakers) in the garage now and see what sort of level it has to get to before you can hear it in the habitable part of their house.

any way, good luck, if it looks half as good as your renders I'm sure you'll be well pleased! :smashin:

4. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments,

I used a funky little Macintosh application called Interiors to do the renders. The thing is that 'nice plans' are all very well but I want a nice Home Cinema - though I would imagine that the secret is all in the planning. I'm keen to absorb as much of the collective experience of the DIY'ers on these forums as possible.

As for soundproofing, I have done a little reading and, as you say, I probably don't want to go to the extent of building additional inner stud walls and losing another foot or so from the internal dimensions of the room. The garage currently measures 9'1" wide by 22'5" long. The proposed work will divide that space into two chambers. One housing the cinema at 18ft x 9ft and the small area at the front will keep the garage door and function as storage space for bikes and so forth at the front of the house.

Strangely, the garage is finished with stud walls over the brick work and fully plastered - much like an interior room in the house. (I have attached a couple of photographs).

I suppose that my options for sound proofing boil down to the following:

(a) Rip out the current stud work and reconstruct with appropriate sound dampening materials and methods.

(b) Enhance the current build with sound dampening materials whilst minimising impact on room space. Ideally, less than 6" lost.

I much prefer option (b)!

So, does anyone have any experience of the bewildering array of sound proofing materials on offer and, most importantly, of their relative effectiveness? At the moment I am leaning towards M20 wall panels from Custom Audio Designs ( http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproofing/rubbermat.htm ). Has anybody used these? As the garage only connects to another garage I am hoping that this will be enough to make the sound bearable in the adjoining property and other rooms within the same house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as would any other comments regarding any aspects of the proposed design, build or equipment.

Any air-conditioning experts out there?

Attached Files:

5. BeerDrinker

BeerDrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, thats not a garage, its a ready made cinema !!
    (Methinks it may have swayed the decision to buy this particular property) ;-)
    Sorry I cannot advise on any of the materials, but I just had to post as I really enjoy following the installs featured on here.
    Good luck with the install and keep us posted with pictures if you can.

Regards

Bob.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    You can ascertain if the studd walls are effective by doing what Owain has suggested - trying the sub out and see how it effects next door. Idealy you need mass (layers of plasterboard) and isolation (an air gap) for effective sound proofing, but unless you build a room within a room you will still get some bass travel via the structure of the buildings. If the studd wall is touching the brick wall underneath, then as you say, removing it and building a new one an inch away will work better. Make sure you seal all edges to floor, walls and ceiling with silicon rubber.

This link might help in showing what's effective:

http://www.stcratings.com/assemblies.html#01

More info here:

http://www.asc-soundproof.com/wd-installation.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/SoundIsolationNoise.php

Go for a split air con unit as ducting will allow sound travel unless you make the ducting 'S' shaped with deadening to help absorb the sound as it bumps into the bends. With a split unit you will just have the evaporator (cold bit) in the room with you (the compressor and condenser will be outside somewhere), so one with a quiet fan would be idea. It may be audible with nothing else going on but the movie audio should drown it out. At least, that's my experience with projector fans.

Gary.

7. lasket

lasket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    James,

I can gove you a little advice on the ac if you want. With the area you are looking to cool you should be looking at a 6-7kW split system and if you can get an inverter system which will be at least half the price to run compared to a normal system. At that sort of duty I would go for a wall mounted system i.e. a wall mounted unit in the room and the condenser outside. This would be the cheapest option but you could go for a cassette type unit recessed into your ceiling which would be more expensive.
    In both cases a split system would be much better than the portable type which you can buy in B&Q as they generally only go upto 3kW and can be very noisey.
    A big issue with AC manufacturers is noise. I use Daikin units which are well known to be the quietest on the market. If you are going to install a split system I would recommend you use a least one of the best manufacters (Daikin, Mitsubishi Electric, Toshiba, Fujitsu) if not for noise but reliability they can be expensive to fix.
    To give you an idea of cost I would look about £1500 for a wall mounted inverter Daikin system installed (any reputable installer should be able to do this in a day if power is available) you may have to get an electrician to bring an isolator to where the outdoor unit will be, and for a cassette about £500 more.
    The power supply needed for this size of unit would be a 1ph 20amp with a runnning current of 9amps (these are all Daikin figures) so you'll need to check you have enough power to the garage.

Hope this helps and I've attached a few pics of indoor and outdoor units.

Neale

Attached Files:

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Hi Neale,

How do 'inverter' systems differ from normal systems?

Gary

9. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BeerDrinker Bob - am I really that transparent? Do you think the missus will see through it as easily?

;-)

Gary and Neale,

Thanks a lot for your input - it is very much appreciated. So, I take it that I should really look into having a seperate mains ring for the cinema...?

10. Mistral55

Mistral55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for what little help it may offer , my friend who did his garage out as home cinema & NEARLY persuaded me to go same route (but management intervened!!) has left me with a library of literature & samples of soundproofing kit (acoustic tiling, treated felt, HDMFG, etc) if its of use maybe??.. contact (mistral55@yahoo.com) & I'll forward it.