Yet another false Chimney

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Rich1981, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Rich1981

Rich1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all, i have just moved into a rented property due to a split from my wife. In the separation she got all the living room furniture so i looked upon this as a perfect opportunity to build a decent living room set up.
    Here is a pic of the current set up.
    [​IMG]

Now with the property being rented i would like to do the absolute minimum to the fabric of the room and be able to return the house to how it was in the future, so everything i do will be removable. The fire is electric and just unplugs and the fireplace just lifts off, these will then be stored in the loft.

Nothing will be fixed to the walls it will all be free standing.

The Besta units will be adjusted and chopped to allow for an electric extension lead to be passed to the back of the TV.

When finished the TV will have some colour changing LED backlights.

My total budget for this will £250 and based on my costings so far i should come in £7 under budget.

Stage 1
    Install 4No Ikea Besta units (400mm Deep) either side of the alcove sat on a homemade frame to get the right height. The units will be topped with an Ikea kitchen worktop.
    [​IMG]

Stage 2
    The timber frame will be constructed between the Besta units and sit on the existing fire hearth. The frame will be made in two sections so in the future they can be removed seperately. without destroying everything.
    [​IMG]

Stage 3
    The TV & Soundbar brackets are installed and the frame is plaster boarded with 12.5mm boarding.
    [​IMG]

Stage 4
    The boarded frame is wallpapered.
    [​IMG]

Stage 5
    Decorative skirting is fixed under the Besta Units and across the bottom of the chimney.
    [​IMG]

And here is the proposed finished article with my electric fire installed.
    [​IMG]

2. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Nice plan. Any thoughts on what to do with the remaining £7? ;-)

3. Rich1981

Rich1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That will be spent on Peroni lol

4. lukeredpath

lukeredpath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    My advice would be to spend the £7 on some fixings to attach the frame to the wall.

Personally I wouldn't feel happy mounting the TV on the frame unless it's secured properly. I understand the need to make everything removable, but it's not hard to fill a few holes and touch up the paint work.

5. Rich1981

Rich1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Fully agree I have now decided to add some rawl bolts to the frame just for peace of mind

6. Rich1981

Rich1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To update this I have decided to make a start on the bedroom as it was shocking! so I ripped out the wardrobes and got the tv wall mounted, the cables will be set into the wall in a few days, also started stripping the wall paper.
    I currently have freeview and my PC connected to the tv in the lounge for watching on demand programmes.
    Does anyone know how I can make the PC visible on the tv in the lounge and the bedroom?

Attached Files: