Yet another Ebay 'is it a scam' question!

mrapbp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I know.............. I am just new ish to the world of expensive ebaying!

The situation:

I have just sold a fairly expensive treadmill on Ebay. The buyer contacted me about a day and a half later saying he was out of the country and did not see my 'I will only accept cash on collection' statement and could he have my IBAN and BIC codes to do a direct bank transfer. He also said he would do Paypal but that was why I asked for cash on collection so I said no.

I responded saying either cash or bank transfer. Every time he is taking 24 hrs to respond to a single question and has again asked for my IBAN and BIC codes (whatever they are.......) to do a bank transfer and he will collect next week.

The other thing is he has massive positive feedback (over 1000) but he has only bought 2 very cheap things in the last 2 years.

So is there any rom for a scam or am I just being paranoid?

Cheers!

Personally, I'd call paranoia, but at the end of the day, it's your call. It's not easy for someone to scam via this method, as any withdrawals from your account need to be authorised by you. If you do decide to go ahead with it, just ring your bank and tell them you need your IBAN and BIC codes, they'll sort you out.

I have only ever had that situation once in all my Ebay dealings. I agreed to the request, but went to the Bank and advised them on what I was doing, and they put a "CHECK" on my account, to ensure no scams were operating. Then after a few months I had it removed. It doesn't cost anything, and any hassle of checks by the Bank for abnormal activities in my account was well worth it.
Hope this helps
Cheers.

My gut is that it feels dodgy, not sure how or why just that it doesnt feel right!

He's offered a bank transfer or paypal & you want cash on collection, To me he just wants a proof of purchase, something he doesn't get from a cash on collection. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

IBAN and BIC codes are needed for transfer of money from other countries. I'd be perfectly happy once the money was in my account.

I don't think that he can use those codes to access your account, they will just allow him to pay money into it, but it might be worth checking that.

Possibly he is worried that if he doesn't turn up for a week then you will have re-listed it or sold it elsewhere so wants to secure it. What you could do is ask him to pay a deposit by bank transfer or Paypal and bring the rest as cash when he picks it up.

Dave

I was after the whole thing in cash on collection as that covers us both. He wasnt able to do that though for some reason?

I have given him the account details for a savings account that has no money in it so even if something odd happens theres nothing to pinch!

I don't think that he can use those codes to access your account, they will just allow him to pay money into it, but it might be worth checking that.

Possibly he is worried that if he doesn't turn up for a week then you will have re-listed it or sold it elsewhere so wants to secure it. What you could do is ask him to pay a deposit by bank transfer or Paypal and bring the rest as cash when he picks it up.

Dave

That sounds like a wise precaution...

Dave

If he is doing via your IBAN etc, does that mean he is out of the country and can't collect? Or maybe he is using a CC cos he doesn't have the cash.

Shaz

So the guy has paid into my account, apparently he is from Slovakia and buys treadmills and ships them over there. Looking on his ebay account though he hasnt bought anything since Aug last year?

He is now asking for my address so he can send his 'man with a van' to collect form my house tomorrow.

I am not sure why but something still feels a little odd here.

Am I still being paranoid??

I would cancel this sale and relist the item.

take all the cash out and put it into another account.

then just wait..i think it is just a weird situation but if he has already paid then it seems ok.

perhaps just one thing to check with your bank is if he can reverse that payment he gave you? kind of like a cheque bouncing. i would not of thought he could but perhaps worth checking.

I can remove the money fairly quickly and I had it paid into an account that doesnt get used much. I also spoke to the bank and the money cant be taken back.

I am fairly happy to believe that I am being paranoid and I am not sure what 'could' happen here. I just dont want to get axed to death or made to be somebodies bitch!! :rotfl:

Just not a very trusting guy.......

Nothing to worry about here! Sounds like a business man just playin it safe! The codes are required for bank transfers and gives him a record. So does a courier that collects.

\if you're paranoid (next time or anytime) register for paypal and use it! and if bank transfers, wait 5 working days before sending off the goods!

I am more worried about some random turning up at my house and because its all being driven from overseas it seems more suspicious I guess.

I guess we will see what happens!

Cheers!

Nothing to worry about here! Sounds like a business man just playin it safe! The codes are required for bank transfers and gives him a record. So does a courier that collects.

\if you're paranoid (next time or anytime) register for paypal and use it! and if bank transfers, wait 5 working days before sending off the goods!

The potential problem here is that the item is collected & then shortly after, he claims he hasn't received it. Because it was collected you have no proof of delivery while he can prove he paid for it. Getting a signature from whoever collects will not be acceptable proof of delivery as far as Ebay are concerned. You may then find the funds recalled via a chargeback.

Collections should always be paid in cash.

That is a potential loophole that mrapbp needs to consider carefully, thanks Croc.

The potential problem here is that the item is collected & then shortly after, he claims he hasn't received it. Because it was collected you have no proof of delivery while he can prove he paid for it. Getting a signature from whoever collects will not be acceptable proof of delivery as far as Ebay are concerned. You may then find the funds recalled via a chargeback.

Collections should always be paid in cash.

thats only a problem if the buyer pays by paypal and then collects - with no proof of postage from the seller the buyer could easily open a paypal dispute and claim it has not been recieved and then win as no proof of postage.

I dont think EBAY ( not paypal) can do anything about it if the buyer haspaid cash so wouldnt worry on that personally

Agreed that Paypal is the usual route for this but as I said, there's nothing to to prevent the buyer initiating a chargeback through his bank. Either by claiming the item hasn't been received or that the account has been hacked.

I stand by what I said, collection should be for cash payment only.

I spoke to my bank and they said that money cannot be recalled using this method of payment. Onec its in there its in there.

Also I would imagine that they wouldnt get involved or care about an ebay dispute.

I did ask for cash in my listing but I guess it is more difficult if he is arranging collection etc from overseas.

I guess we will see.................:(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom