Yet another clueless person in need of a new TV and help..!

stevewestern

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, this is going to be a long and rambling post but please bear with me...

I have a Panasonic 37" TV (TH37PX7E) that must be about 8-9 years old - it still seems to be OK but I know that things have moved on - I also want to get some sort of home cinema set up, if possible using my AVI ADM 9.1 active speakers and sub which currently have my Sonos running through them. However, I am open to any suggestions, but please keep things simple, as I know nothing about this whole AV business.
My only current source is a FreeSat box (freeview doesn't work here) and an aged DVD player. The main use will be watching TV, a few films and my kids do use their Wii at times.

I don't know anything about what there is, what to look for or even where to buy. I popped into a well known high street store and popped out very quickly as all I could see were walls of over-saturated, over-sharpened screens and very young guys who seemed to know a lot about model numbers but may not have much experience or actual knowledge - that may just be my jaded mind being unfair and biased though..
I guess budget is going to be around £1500 - £2000 absolute tops.
So, can anyone offer a few basic suggestions, maybe tell me where might be a good place to get advice and a demo (I live in Cornwall but work up in London fairly often) and anything else that might be of use - many thanks !

Last edited:
So, you already have a sound system and the TV is fine?

Why not look into a projector and screen??

Screen size?

Maybe have a look through the TV review section on here? Your budget gives you a wide choice

Reviews | AVForums

Thanks to you both for your replies..
I do actually already have a 2.4m screen that I was given but my wife has said it is way too big to use for everyday use and if it does every get put to use it will be in a different room.

As for screen size - I guess something like 47-50" - and I am reading through a few of the reviews but seem to be struggling to work out what matters most, as many seem to be pretty good.
With regards to sound, would it be easy to add to an active 2.1 system - my speakers are these -

AVI Hi-Fi Legacy - ADM9 review

so would I need 2 more active speakers and an AV processor pre-amp and if so what ?

So far from what I have read on here these have caught my eye -

LG BH9540 9.1-Channel All-in-One System Review | AVForums

and maybe one of these -

LG LB730 (47LB730) TV Review | AVForums

These come in at just under £1500, so would allow me a blu ray player and some cables, but if using my existing speakers could make for a lower spend then so much the better !

But as that would swallow all of my budget would it be the best way to spend it ?
What about the sound aspect of it ?

The built in speakers arnt too bad because they a forward firing, in my opinion if you are spending £2k this is the best way to spend it, you could always add a sound bar a few months down the line

A soundbar for christmas maybe ?

No, can't you put on your christmas wishlist that you want cash ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom